What do YOU do to prepare for a hurricane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm sitting at home listening to the radio in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike. I am utterly amazed at some of the questions that people are calling in about. The roadblocks have been lifted and people are being allowed back in but they are being warned that power could be out in excess of 4 weeks and the water and sewer systems in most of the cities are compromised so they must be SELF SUFFICIENT!

I am amazed by the questions from people looking for water, ice, food, gas, generators, or medicine.

Our county was under mandatory evacuation orders and provided transportation for anyone who wanted to go to shelters. Everyone who was able to leave on their own were encouraged to go. Anyone who chose to stay was told that they would NOT be provided with emergency services during the storm, or immediately after. They MUST be self sufficient.

Apparently, "self sufficient" means something different to me than it does to others.

Since I decided not to evacuate, I took the following steps:

I went to stay at a buddies house that had a well, septic system and generator.
His house was also a bit further from the coast and higher than mine, so the predicted storm surge of 20' wouldnt be an issue there.

Before leaving, I closed all the interior doors of my house and stuffed towels under them to help slow water intrusion in case of flooding and to minimize damage if I lost a portion of roof.

Exterior doors were also stuffed with towels to help slow water intrusion.

My most important personal papers were put in a dry bag and left with me. Other valuable papers were double bagged in garbage bags and left high in closests.

Ditto for electronics, PC etc. Laptop came with me. Everything else would have to take it's chances.

Generator was left at my mothers house, where I would be staying when I returned because it has the highest elevation and is centrally located. It was fueled and checked prior to leaving.

A 55 gallon drum of gas was left in a secure area, away from any electrical or potential spark sources. Included was an electric pump that works off 12v car battery. Several 5 gallon gas cans were also left, bringing my total up to close to 80 gallons. With careful rationing, that is enough to last me close to 3 weeks.

I took a first aid kit, including antibiotic creams for cuts, tool kit, chainsaw, tow straps, flashlights, electrical test kit for checking for live wires, power inverter, steel toe work boots, gloves, full length rain slicker, portable air compressor and tire repair kits and enough food and water to last me a week with me. I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings too, but I think you get the idea...

15+ gallons of water was left at the house, along with several gallons frozen in the fridge. That helped keep stuff cold til I could get back and check on it and provides cold drinking water as it thaws. Enough canned food was also left to last for several weeks.

When I returned, the first thing I did after checking on our houses was to clear debris from the storm drains so the flooded streets could go down. I also marked downed lines hanging across our street after making sure they were not live (which with 99% power outage in our areas was almost unneccessary) so people driving past wouldnt hit them and damage their cars.

Then I started clearing the limbs from the roadways I was travelling on between our houses and now have started the cleanup around the houses themselves (which thankfully sustained little damage).

So, for those of you who live in areas affected by hurricanes, what steps do YOU take to be self sufficient and contribute to the community when you return?

Just in case you haven't figured it out by now, I'm highly annoyed by those people who are returning to the area, driving around and sightseeing at the damage, ignoring traffic control devices and calling in to the radio station to whine that they don't have power, ice, water, or food!

Keep the gas tank filled in my car
Check tire pressure, brake fluid, radiator
Lots of big bottles of water
Cash, lots of it
Back up the computer
Food that won't spoil easily and a manual can opener
Unplug the electrical stuff
Turn the water off
Put everything up on high shelves
Roll the rugs up and put them up high
Appoint a relative (out of hurricane range) as my contact person
E-mail everyone to conact this person to keep the phone lines open
Flashlights and batteries
Charge the phone, camera, etc.
Stuff towels at the door to keep extra water out
Secure items that fly in the wind (lawn furniture, garbage cans)
Make sure the first aid kit goes with me
Leave before the weather gets really bad

Unplug the electrical stuff

Good point. One of the things I forgot to post was that I turned off every breaker in the house except for the fridge circuit. I took out/used most of the stuff that would spoil, but left drinks, etc. in to stay cool as long as possible.

Turning off the other circuits reduced the risk of fire/shorts in the event of wind/water damage and intrusion.

Forgot to add. Every couple of months, or anytime a storm enters the Gulf, start and run the generator and verify voltage output by plugging something into it. Generators can sometimes de-magnatize and quit producing power. Relatively simple to fix, but not something you want to deal with in the midst of a storm.

Great thread CD.

:)

Good advice CD. i will keep this in mind when i eventually move to Florida!

Good advice CD. i will keep this in mind when i eventually move to Florida!

Everyplace has its dangers. Therefore it is always a good idea to have at least 1/2 tank of gas in your car at all times, and a 72 hour kit easy to grab by your door for heading out with.

Greece, Calif, Japan, China -- major earthquakes

Central Europe, Central USA -- flooding

USA Gulf Coast & Atlantic, South Pacific Islands [and apparently OHIO !!]-- hurricanes / typhoons

New England, Northern Europe -- snowstorms and blackouts

I think that the only perfect place to live is possibly Australia, but even they have monster crocodiles!

Last edited:
Everyplace has its dangers.

How true! Ike rolled through Cincinnati Ohio Sunday afternoon. Left 99% of the city without power. Currently 500,000 are without right now...that's half our population.

Hurricanes in Ohio? Apparently so. No rain, but we had winds in excess of 85 mph.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom