What do you do for exercise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually swim in the mornings, the distance varies from day to day, anywhere from one to two miles. My mid-day workout consists of pushups, pullups, crunches, and dips. And then in the evening, after I have the kids in bed, I go for a run. The distance on that varies also, anywhere from five to ten miles.

I've thought about lifting weights, but there's something about the idea of lifting heavy things over and over that just kind of rubs me the wrong way. :D

I put in an hour at the gym, 4 times a week.

20 minutes of high-intensity cardio to start.
10 minutes of abdominal exercises and light stretching.
30 minutes of weight lifting.

I shore dive... alot. I need the strength, endurance, and the most moderate heart rate possible when the fit hits the shan.

I dive an hp130 and tote an X-Scooter. That's 95 pounds right there... then comes the rest of the heavy black gear.

I work hard in the gym so that the diving can be easy... well... easier.

It's definitely worth it!!!

My dive buddy, Mo2vation, works out just as hard... probably harder. We encourage each other and enjoy the vigorous diving that the conditioning allows us to do.

~~~~
Claudette

P.S. It cracks me up that I work so hard in the gym, moving all kinds of weight and stuff all around, and it's all back in the same place when I leave! It's just too silly. I figure I'm harvesting and storing some kind of wacky potential energy for release later... while I'm diving.

Dive Lover,
I took a raquet sports class in college- badminton took up 4 weeks of that class. I was terribly surprised at how fun and physically demanding this sport is once you get good at it and play with someone who knows what they are doing.

I was wondering how many divers swim laps for exercise- not necessarily to dive better, but for just general exercise. I know that is a tough question w/o an answer.
So I will just ask- what do you do for execise?
I swim 2 times a week. I´m a member of a local swimclub and we meet up and swim "programs"...medleys, starts, paddles, leg-kicks and all sorts of stuff to keep it fun and varied...we usually do about 2k each time...
Just sign up for an adult-swim course and start racking up those laps!

I also play badminton 2 times a week and then do one session of boxercise, spinning or something else...when I manage to squeeze all these in in a given week it amounts to about 7hrs of exercise per week...

three days of the week i do a workout that consists of 5-10min of cardio to warm-up (usually rowing or running), then about a 30min weight workout, then end w/ 15-30min of cardio ... and i always end every workout with stretching for flexibility ... gotta reach those damn valves

alternating with those days are three days of cardio (at 20-30min worth), plus some ab and flexibility stuff worked in

on the other day i either take it easy or just do something active ... i kinda play it by ear

and in the horrible occasion that i get to go diving i just might have to change it up a bit :)

swimming laps twice a week. Diving at the weekend. Having a big factory to walk around during the day!

I´m a member of a local swimclub and we meet up and swim "programs"...medleys, starts, paddles, leg-kicks and all sorts of stuff to keep it fun and varied...we usually do about 2k each time...

That sounds fun! the chlorine makes me nuts. (skin, hair)

I really love cycling except in challenging traffic with Jb going through intesections like a messenger boy. If we can do a bike trail or the base, or a less busy route, I can do 20 miles or so at a time with some hills, and really enjoy having my HR up in the 150's for a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom