Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Do I need a light?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diving by brail?

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The poll should probably have the 1-5 option broken down further. Last weekend we had 2ft on Sat. and 3ft on Sun. Both I would consider as low vis and made me appreciate the 5ft vis dives that I thought were bad much more than I did before. At 2-3ft it's hard to see much in open water aside from your buddy's fins, unless you're very close to the bottom. At 4-5ft I can actually enjoy the dive. It sounds like a fine line, but I'd say it's all about seeing the bottom more or less clearly from your perch a few ft. above it.

-Roman.

I think it can be relative. If I'm diving in a local lake, 25-30 ft would be great. If I'm diving in Cozumel, 25-30 ft would be a little disappointing.

I have had some very enjoyable dives in vis of just a couple of feet. Less than that and I need a reason to be there.

Less than 5 ft I need a REAL reason to be there.

Dave D

Any dive over 30'-40' is okay by me. Diving mostly in the Atlantic we don't usually see much less than this. More often than not the vis is 80'+. Gotta love it! Ginnie and Blue Grotto are pretty much unlimited:)

Rooster1 once bubbled...
less then 10 feet and it kinda sucks;-0
Yeah...that about sums it up for me too. Ten feet is still ok I guess but getting down closer to 5 or less is where I pretty much won't waste the time and air to do the dive.

In local lakes, twenty feet seems to be the best we get. Then when you get people kicking up silt, or in many other circumstances, vis gets really bad. I voted 1 to 5 feet as low vis.

Vis at least 50 ft is pretty standard most of the time for me. When it gets down to about 30 ft it's not so great, and when it gets below 20 ft it's pretty crappy.

My definition of low vis is when you can't see the end of your speargun, 20' is fine for hunting, less than 5' and it's easy to miss the reef or rock pile.

Worst was in the gulf, 70 FSW (30 miles offshore), and under 1'vis, top to bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom