What do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to scare to many people.

Gary D.

tc, I appreciate you listing some books to check out. I'm currently considering taking DR1 this summer, so I guess I'll do some reading first. Any other recommendations on books to read or videos to check out?

The listed ones should help. I understand there is a new DR1 book out but have not seen it yet. I also understand (Blades- jump in if I'm wrong) that it is not sold- only available to students taking the class.

Another book I just remembered- Contaminated Water Diving by Steve Barsky. NOAA dive manual and the US NAVY dive manual are good references too.

Can't think of any videos right off hand.

The listed ones should help. I understand there is a new DR1 book out but have not seen it yet. I also understand (Blades- jump in if I'm wrong) that it is not sold- only available to students taking the class.

Another book I just remembered- Contaminated Water Diving by Steve Barsky. NOAA dive manual and the US NAVY dive manual are good references too.

Can't think of any videos right off hand.
Thanks, I'll check those books out. At least that way I'd have some background before the class.

Those are automatic when you apply for the job.

Careful where you apply- there's talk in some states of taking action to keep us from reproducing.

Hi,

PADI or any other recreational diving agency doesn't offer any courses that are applicable to the Public Safety dive environment.

Aquanauts is now the exclusive private-sector training agency for the Professional Emergency Response Training organization and our website has a good article illustrating why PADI Rescue, Search & Recovery, etc. is not appropriate training. What is needed is a full suite of courses that prepare public safety divers for diving in low/zero visibility, using full face masks, dry suits and self-sufficiency situations.

Of course, we offer these courses individually or as part of all-inclusive internships that offer both PADI Divemaster or Instructor certs and full PERT certification. Check it out here:

Dive Internship - PERT Public Safety / Emergency Response / Rescue Diving Internships AQUANAUTS Pattaya Thailand

Haven't heard of PERT before. The PERT website was not very informative about the agency, Among other things it says that you've trained federal, state and local agencies, but fails to list a single agency name.

It would be really helpful if you listed the agencies you've trained and maybe even who you are and what your qualifications to do PSD training. Or maybe even an address or phone number.

Please let us know if you decide to add that type of information so that we can check out you agency!

Never heard of them before either. I get the impression that PERT is an Asian specific agency - maybe thats why there's not much info although they do have pictures of ice rescue stuff :confused:
I've noticed a couple of pictures with the "pony bottles" (I think they're AL40?) slung as per tech diving technique - also strange
It'd be nice to do PSD training in Thiland but I don't think many would be willing to re-mortage the house to do it! It looks very expensive even if you didn't have to pay for flights. Also I don't see how the Thiland environment is anywhere close to the PSD environments that we have in most of North America.

I do like the approach of "encapsulated, self-suficiency, blackwater" components before entering the actual ERD course itself and the time lines seem about right.

I'd like more info as well... You'd also need to explain why a PSD would ever need something like a vytec computer:no

mark

Also I don't see how the Thiland environment is anywhere close to the PSD environments that we have in most of North America.

mark

Some of the worst diving conditions I have ever seen have been in Asian INLAND waters. The ocean waters were, for the most part, very nice but the minute you headed in from the coast it was a frickin cesspool.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom