Question What do I need to know about E/O cords?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I bought the canister (dual output) first (mainly for a suit heater) and intend to add the light later.

This seems like a huge advantage- purchasing light heads and batteries individually as you need.

UWLD solved it differently with the stack cap approach. I have 2 UWLD canisters *both big battery* plus an old Halcyon canister as mentioned above for emergency heat, 3 light heads *2 primary and a video*, and a heated vest controller. I can mix and match those however I want. Obviously not in the middle of the dive, but I don't see a need for a bigger canister than what is on there. Shorter dives are primary+heated vest, long dives are two cans with primary and vest. I find that more flexible than EO personally and I really don't like the dual cable outlets with switches in the head, but that's personal preference.

Should be noted that I didn't have older canisters or light heads that I was trying to retain that already had E/O which may be a consideration if you already have legacy products that you're trying continue using, but if you're buying new I really don't think the E/O cables on the light heads really make the most sense.

I am still amazed of the prize of a pair of E/O cords given what is contained in those. And the cables, they do break.

I can work out some custom cords for any of you wanting an EO connector. We have used hypalon wire in some of our bulkheads if you are having a problem with bend radius and I can mold to just about any cord you want.

I’m thinking about trying to switch my current light to a E/O cord, and going that direction with future purchases. The idea of having interchangeably as I add more components (bigger batteries, better light heads, suit heat) is appealing. And I could purchase these items individually as I need them.

Anything I should know? Maintenance? Drawbacks? Advantages?

Thanks!
I make very reliable EO cords and will back them up with a 1 year warranty. In my 25+ years of doing this, I can't remember having a single issue.

Welcome to ScubaBoard, @Tony EO Connectors!

We manufacture and sell standard and custom neoprene molded underwater pluggable connectors capable of being mated submerged in a de-energized condition. Ideal for low voltage applications such as sonar, temperature and current instrumentation, battery packs, cameras and lighting.

Voltage/amperage ratings of 115V/7.5A and 230/15A
Products pressure rated from 10,000 to 20,000 psig.

We manufacture and sell standard and custom neoprene molded underwater pluggable connectors capable of being mated submerged in a de-energized condition. Ideal for low voltage applications such as sonar, temperature and current instrumentation, battery packs, cameras and lighting.

Voltage/amperage ratings of 115V/7.5A and 230/15A
Products pressure rated from 10,000 to 20,000 psig.
Cost?
Expected number of mates before replacement?
Are they made in house?
Interchangeable with (unfortunate) standard EO sets?
Pic?
Any actively in use in expedition grade diving or teams?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom