What Dive Ops have boats with Giant Stride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am only quoting this as an example of why people should not be claiming there is only one right way to do an entry. Different boats have different configurations, and over time the entry methods evolve to match the boat's configuration. When you encounter a boat that does something different from what you are used to, it does not mean the crew is composed of idiots. .

Exactly!! You will never believe this but I actually heard some boats make you... like... connect all your gear and put the hosey things on that big round tanky thing. SO weird.....

I am only quoting this as an example of why people should not be claiming there is only one right way to do an entry.
I don't think any of us were doing that. I did say that doing a giant stride entry would be a challenge from the small dive boats I have been out on recently, not that it would be impossible.

I still think that jumping into the water wearing a weight belt and no BC is a bad idea. :D

Wouldn’t the weight belt be passed down after donning the BC?

Wouldn’t the weight belt be passed down after donning the BC?
My weight belt when I am using one goes on before the BC. I think it would be difficult to put on a weight belt in the water after getting into a BC, but I can't say I've ever tried it.

My weight belt when I am using one goes on before the BC. I think it would be difficult to put on a weight belt in the water after getting into a BC, but I can't say I've ever tried it.
It's a required skill for OW certification.

It wasn't for mine and I don't see why it would be, but OK, if you say so.
It is a WRSTC standard, so if you were certified by any of the WRSTC agencies. Which agency certified you?

Weight system replacement on the surface is required in both confined water and open water. Replacing it under water is required in the confined water sessions.

PDIC 25+ years ago.
PDIC was a founding member of the RSTC, and those requirements have been part of the RSTC standards for longer than 25 years--I am pretty sure from the beginning.

Every op I have ever dove with has allowed us to gear up in the water if someone can't backroll or walk to the back of the boat with gear on. It takes a good buddy to help and some pool practice helps before hand to learn the dance.

I had a dive instructor that would do a forward somersault into his BCD while in the water. No buddy needed. It would take some practice, and I would only want to do it with integrated weights (my preference).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom