What dive op do you use...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule:
ScubaTony- 6 pax boat only. Max bottom time on both dives and will go anywhere you want. Tony is awesome. He even came out to the Occ. Grand to pick us up instead of having us meet him in town. I haven't dove with Christi yet, but someday in the future seeing as how we won't make it back this year.

Melissa

When I was introduced to Tony at Christmas time he was still looking to buy his own boat....it's common for some ops to rent boats from other ops.... He still seems like a nice guy and should be considered.

Ron

DiverG:
What dive operation do you use and why do you like them? Are there any that you've wanted to try but haven't?

My last two trips to Cozumel I've used Dive with Martin. What initially drew me to them was good reports from the different message boards. I also found Martin to respond to my questions promptly. His customer service has been great, and I have had a great time diving with his divemasters. Oh yeah his operation is very economical on my wallet. LOL!!

The one op I haven't used yet is christi's Bluextsea. I hope to rectify that on my next trip. I wanted to use her in the past, but she was usually unavailable. I want to try her op out because she has rave reviews on this board and others.

I do feel like I'm in a quandry though because once I find something I like I'm very loyal, but I do want to try out Bluextsea. Maybe I'll just have to split both dive ops on this trip. :)

H Greg....are you going before we go to CCV in May...I have used Christi's op BXTS and it is a A+ operation.... it doesn't get any better IMO....we will be going in July and will be using BXTS again. pm me if you have any specific questions or we can talk about it more in May at CCV....looking forward to seeing you again....hope all is well with you and that ear that was giving you problems has cleared up.

Ann

I've been diving with Blue Bubble/Scuba Shak for years now. Roberta bought out Blue Bubble a few years ago. Retained the boats and most of their staff.

We all know there are LOTS of good dive operators on Cozumel. Years ago I was headed down to for my first trip to Coz. I didn't really know that much about it and there were no direct flights then. I had to fly into Cancun and take a puddle-jumper over. One of the staff from Blue Bubble wanted to meet us at the airport since this was our first trip. Well, our flight into Cancun was delayed so we missed the puddle jumper. Luis was there in Coz waiting for us! He ran another errand and CAME BACK to the airport for the next scheduled flight. He was standing there with a Blue Bubble shirt and a sign with our names on it. He personally drove us to the dive shop and then dropped us off at our hotel afterwards. Unless something really goes wrong, I'll be a Blue Bubble customer forever...

-Charles

I should just copy this and put in a Word file somewhere, as this subject does come up often enough

My top three recommendations are:
In no particular order,

1.) Dive with Martin - www.divewithmartin.com We have been using them for several years now and have been very impress with the DM's (David and Orlando are our fav's.) & captains. small groups on fast boats, some of the best prices on the island, cash only with several discount options on the website.
Martin does a lot of charity work throughout the region, even if you don't use his services, check out his website and see what he is collecting for this years charities and try to bring something down help out.

2.) BlueXTSea - www.bluextseadivers.com What can I say, Christi runs a top-notch operation and works VERY hard to keep it that way, she has even gone beyond the call of duty by bringing birthday and anniversery cakes to costomers. She is also quick to help here on the board with non-self promotional imformation. Her DM'S and captains also get high marks from folks. Everyone that I have talked to that has used her services has nothing but rave reviews.

3.) Bottom Time Divers - www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul Plates used to be with Blue Bubble and is now on his own, I have dove with him many times and really like him as person as well as a dive professional. He is a very good, extreamly safety minded DM and very good at finding those hard to find critters.

charlesml3:
I've been diving with Blue Bubble/Scuba Shak for years now. Roberta bought out Blue Bubble a few years ago. Retained the boats and most of their staff.

We all know there are LOTS of good dive operators on Cozumel. Years ago I was headed down to for my first trip to Coz. I didn't really know that much about it and there were no direct flights then. I had to fly into Cancun and take a puddle-jumper over. One of the staff from Blue Bubble wanted to meet us at the airport since this was our first trip. Well, our flight into Cancun was delayed so we missed the puddle jumper. Luis was there in Coz waiting for us! He ran another errand and CAME BACK to the airport for the next scheduled flight. He was standing there with a Blue Bubble shirt and a sign with our names on it. He personally drove us to the dive shop and then dropped us off at our hotel afterwards. Unless something really goes wrong, I'll be a Blue Bubble customer forever...

-Charles

This is absolutley nothing against Blue Bubble/Scuba Shack, but I just want to clarify a few things.

Roberta and Robert took over Blue Bubble in mid to late 2003 if memory serves me correctly. She in fact obtained all of Blue Bubble's boats, the shop location, equipment, etc. However, to say that she retained most of the staff is a bit misleading.

For certain I know that most of the former Blue Bubble staff moved on shortly before the ownership change or with the ownership change including Frank, Raul, Pedro Pablo, Luis, Juan, Santos, and Hector a/k/a Mago. I'm not sure who that left.

Ron is correcgt- ScubaTony doesn't own his boat(s), but the boat captain is not my main concern when I am diving (not sure if he should be or not). We had 2 different boat captains (and boats) on 4 days of diving, but they were both really friendly. I don't remember his prices, but he is worth it. Some day when we do make it back (after all our company leaves) we will have to give Christi a shot. I like small boats w/ small groups. I really hate ending a dive with more than 500psi in my tank (Dive Palancar ended all the dives when I had 1500 or more- because other people were low). Tony will send up buddy teams while everyone else gets to stay down.

Melissa

ch0ppersrule:
but the boat captain is not my main concern when I am diving (not sure if he should be or not).

I hope you don't have to find out the hard way how important the boat captain is when you are picked up in rough seas....they are as important to me as the DM.

ch0ppersrule:
Ron is correcgt- ScubaTony doesn't own his boat(s), but the boat captain is not my main concern when I am diving (not sure if he should be or not). We had 2 different boat captains (and boats) on 4 days of diving, but they were both really friendly. I don't remember his prices, but he is worth it. Some day when we do make it back (after all our company leaves) we will have to give Christi a shot. I like small boats w/ small groups. I really hate ending a dive with more than 500psi in my tank (Dive Palancar ended all the dives when I had 1500 or more- because other people were low). Tony will send up buddy teams while everyone else gets to stay down.

Melissa

I ditto what Parrothead said about the boat captain. They are JUST as important if not moreso than the divemaster. Don't underestimate thie importance and how instrumental they are from a safety standpoint. The boat captain is also responsible for the everyday boat/engine maintenance and making sure that problems with the engine are addressed immediately.

When I need to rent an additional boat(s), I am very selective about the boat. Before I ask "how much" I ask who the captain is. Of course the boat I normally lease as a second boat is a great boat with a great captain, as is my 2nd choice boat.

Recently I had a last minute emergency and had to rent a boat with a captain I was unfamiliar with for a day...I will NEVER rent that boat again! I will literally cancel a trip before I rent that unamed boat again! Poor Jayjoans and his group know what I am talking about and they were amazing sports about it!

There are only two or three boats on the island that I am comfortable/confident with when an extra boat(s) is needed.

Tony is selective as well, and he makes arrangements with reputable shops or boats when he has a group.

Yes, Tony selects the boat and captain, not me. I put my trust in the DM/Instructor. It should not be my concern who he/she picks. I pay the dive operator not the boat captain. I also don't dive in rough seas. Majority of the problems are with the DM's not the boat captains. If there are problems with the boat or captain it usually reflects on the dive operator not the boat or captain. Christi- maybe next year we will get to do some dives with you. We are not making it to Coz this year (company coming the whole summer- our last summer in Hawaii).

Melissa

I use Raul at www.bottomtimedivers.net. He formerly was with Blue Bubble before they sold out. Great guy and divemaster, 6 pack boat with canopy for those real sunny days, rain slickers, towels, snacks, and water.

If for some reason I can't go with him next would be:
www.liquidbluedivers.com or www.bluextseadivers.com both of whom run small boats also. These operators make you feel like friends not just customers. All of them at one time or another have done things for me over and above the normal business environment.

Lou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom