What Dive Gear & Accessories Have You REMOVED from Your Kit, or replaced with something different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fold up ABLJ (buddy artic). This was suggested when I first started as I would probably get a dry suit in the future. Also got the optional extra direct feed as I would be using a semi-dry. Changed to a BCD when they became common.

8mm two piece semi dry. Got this when I first started At the suggestion of people in the club. After freezing my bits off too many times, changed to an 8mm neoprene dry suit.

Air 2. Got this as there was only 3 LP ports on the first stage and the ABLJ mouthpiece had a tendency to separate from the direct feed. Once I had changed to a BCD with a more robust connection between the mouthpiece and direct feed. I got a T piece adaptor and an octopus.

H frame reel made from plywood And thin rope. It was made at the suggestion of people in the club. The plywood delaminated and was replaced by a ratchet reel.

15l cylinder. Got this as it held enough air for the diving I was doing. Changed for independent twin 10l cylinders with din valves. Needed the extra air for the diving I was doing. Gave redundancy for air. Better balance on my back compared to the 15l.

BCD emergency bottle. This was ditched when changing to a twin set. The twinset made the emergency bottle dig into my kidney. Was not needed as each cylinder fed either the drysuit or BCD.

Light weight holiday BCD. Got this so I didn’t need to change the cam bands from twins to single, and to reduce weight. Only used it on one holiday as the stretchy Cumberband stretched and didn’t keep the cylinder under control. Maybe with a buoyant cylinder it would be useable? Went back to the BCD with a 2 inch webbing wast band.

man, let's see.
1. big knife. Now I use a small knife, single edged, very sharp
2. Poofy BC vest. Mares DC-ing my BC was one of the best things that ever happened to me bc it justified me getting a much much much more streamlined setup with no pockets at all, which means I can only carry the essentials and none of the "nice to have" items that you actually don't ever end up using.
3. Snorkel. I used mine once, and inhaled a bunch of water bc of the waves. Now, if I have to surface swim, I just inflate my BC and roll onto my back like an otter and fin. easy day. I keep my snorkel in my dive bag in case someone else on the boat forgets theirs.
4. Accidentaly purchased a free-diving mask. Ended up with some pretty uncomfortable things going on with it down deep. Now it's my mask for the pool so I don't damage my nice masks with chlorinated water.
5. plastic fins. They were nice feeling, but i like my vented fins MUCH better. They kick up way less silt while I'm doing photography
6. weight belt - now integrated into my harness (with quick-jettison pockets), and it's GLORIOUS.
7. Dive slate - Wife got me a fore-arm mounted one, and I have used it pretty regularly. Gladly replaced my old tablet style dangly one.
8. like 3 or 4 crappy dive lights.

man, let's see.
1. big knife. Now I use a small knife, single edged, very sharp
2. Poofy BC vest. Mares DC-ing my BC was one of the best things that ever happened to me bc it justified me getting a much much much more streamlined setup with no pockets at all, which means I can only carry the essentials and none of the "nice to have" items that you actually don't ever end up using.
3. Snorkel. I used mine once, and inhaled a bunch of water bc of the waves. Now, if I have to surface swim, I just inflate my BC and roll onto my back like an otter and fin. easy day. I keep my snorkel in my dive bag in case someone else on the boat forgets theirs.
4. Accidentaly purchased a free-diving mask. Ended up with some pretty uncomfortable things going on with it down deep. Now it's my mask for the pool so I don't damage my nice masks with chlorinated water.
5. plastic fins. They were nice feeling, but i like my vented fins MUCH better. They kick up way less silt while I'm doing photography
6. weight belt - now integrated into my harness (with quick-jettison pockets), and it's GLORIOUS.
7. Dive slate - Wife got me a fore-arm mounted one, and I have used it pretty regularly. Gladly replaced my old tablet style dangly one.
8. like 3 or 4 crappy dive lights.
1 - The only reason I carry big 10-inch-shears is because I regularly cut anchor-rope while treasure-diving. But if vacation-diving, there's no chance I'd carry that bulky thing. I do love my ultra-light and tiny knives and line-cutters.

7 - Dive notes are better than a slate. But I tend to leave mine at home, because I mostly dive solo, and it's one less thing to carry.

Full Face masks. I bought them hoping they'd be the greatest thing ever. Talking to my wife while diving rather than fooling with handsigns? Awesome! Free classes with the purchase at a LDS. We used them exclusively for about 18 months (about 40 dives) before giving up. Never could get my air consumption anywhere near where it was with a normal regulator. We got tired of being the first people back on the boat, even when there were noob divers. We decided to switch back to regular mask/regulators (scubapro s600, not that the specific model matters much). I just stumbled on the receipt for them last week ($1,800.00 for two masks plus comms!). She wants to sell, I just can't bring myself to do it.. so they continue to sit in my dive closet.

Dive Knife It was something I never used, but frequently replaced after finding it had fallen out of the sheath. Replaced with a Trilobyte eezycut and "trauma" shears.

Trilobyte eezycut The trilobyte worked okay but it's got a metal blade. Eventually the blade rusts, so it looks bad and requires maintenance every few years. After the free blades were used up, I wasn't about to buy another given that there is a better option: Replaced with a DGX sharpcut which has a ceramic blade. Mine's only 3 years old (2 years longer than a trilobyte blade lasts) but so far it is still sharp and there's no metal to rust.
I recall when the full face masks came out. They looked so dang cool. May I ask what your guess is as to why you used more air vs the standard reg?

I recall when the full face masks came out. They looked so dang cool. May I ask what your guess is as to why you used more air vs the standard reg?
I'm not remembering the exact reason why, but I think it relates to having a larger volume of air that has to be purged. I seem to remember also reading some SB members pointing out it depends on the model.

The use of communications will do it every time. Yammering consumes air like nobody’s business.

I rarely use the “comms“ with a FFM and my air consumption is comparable to just a regulator and a conventional mask . . .

Weight pockets on BC harness replaced with separate weight harness.

The use of communications will do it every time. Yammering consumes air like nobody’s business.

I rarely use the “comms“ with a FFM and my air consumption is comparable to just a regulator and a conventional mask . . .
That makes sense. Thanks for your reply. Saw an instructor who was diving one and said he loved it, spent $2500 on it with comms and said he liked to “yammer” but pointless imho unless you like the style to have comms and not use it. To each their own. Glad I never bought one, couldn’t afford to them or now lol. Did you ultimately end up selling it?

I'm not remembering the exact reason why, but I think it relates to having a larger volume of air that has to be purged. I seem to remember also reading some SB members pointing out it depends on the model.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense now that I read your comment. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom