What Dive Gear & Accessories Have You REMOVED from Your Kit, or replaced with something different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A whistle.

It used to have value when I buddy dived with my son. Now, as a true solo diver, it is nothing more than a complication and an entanglement 'hazard'. Dunsel gear to me.
I still have a whistle when solo diving, when you have boats pulling up beside your dive flag fishing and a safety sausage [SMB] is beacon to have a look at, a brass whistle [not plastic, but carry one as well] does the job.
I am sure some found their boat licences in a Corn Flake packet.

I tend to buy gear I’m happy enough with and “use it up.”

But lights. There have been so many lights. Halogen-Xenon era. Better ones. LEDs. LEDs with better output. LEDs with cool features. Better batteries. Rechargeables. Wide and narrow beams and some that change. Smaller but better. Strobes. Markers. The obviously expensive one I found on the bottom in Palau, still glowing dimly. I’ve even got the one with a built in video camera.

And they don’t go away until they’re past dead. If they work but don’t get to go diving anymore they wind up with the boat stuff for night paddles. With enough to go around for friends that don’t have them. An expensive LED spotting light (rejected for a newer better one by photog hubby) now lives in a kayak deck bag. If they don’t work they might become dry cases. Or spare parts since we’ve got 2 of many of them. One got turned into a UV light with internet instructions and fleabay parts. Some I got rid of and regretted it when I came up with a use later.

I’m almost the same way about camping lights. Now that I think about this I may have a light problem.

Over the years have shifted to:
BP+Wing
7mm Semi-dry suit
Beanie instead of hood
Fins with spring straps
Johnson Baby Shampoo for mask defogger
Wrist mounted computer
Small SPG
and I ditched my snorkel some time ago.

Got rid of the giant Sea Hunt knife on my lower leg, now carry small blunt tip knife on BP/W harness along with a line cutter.
Reduced the size of my light significantly from a monster Iklelite, to a 8 c cell Princeton Tek, now have a nice compact 3 c cell Edge.
Went from a jacket style, to a back inlflate, now use a BP/W and will never look back.
Snorkel went bye bye a long time ago.

Do you typically move the rigging & pockets from one side-mount tank to the next, as you switch tanks? Or just the pockets

@SlugMug I only move the pockets. I have a set of tank straps for use with rental tanks, but I much prefer my worm drive hose clamps for my own tanks. If I use my pockets with my rental tank setup I don't use the bottom pocket strap - but I also am not tech diving with it.

I don't see much reason to integrate the pockets into the rigging, save for the bottom strap, which I have added on all my primary tank rigging.

Still looking for the perfect cave light; cordless, looks just like HID, ultra reliable, and 4 hour burn time. Oh yeah, and cheap. I'll keep dreaming until someone actually comes out with one.
Have you checked the Light & Motion - Sola Dive Pro 2000? It seems to check your boxes (and is currently on 25% sale on amazon).

Farallon Shark Dart.
Once I realized that Jaws wasn't going to eat me. (Or eat much...)

Leaking-since-new fscking crap dry suit, gone and replaced with a better one... *knocks on wood*

Have you checked the Light & Motion - Sola Dive Pro 2000? It seems to check your boxes (and is currently on 25% sale on amazon).
It checks the boxes except for a 4hr burn time. It's < 1hour.
I wouldn't use it as a backup in a Cave. My DGX600 backup lights will burn longer and are 1/7th the cost.

I suppose the answer is everything has been replaced, obsoleted, broken, lost, and/or dive dependent. Thinking about this has been a trip down memory lane. My 60 year anniversary of starting Scuba school is this summer.

There are a few things I miss and several things that have been around 30 years. Everything has been modified. The most important thing I miss is my cold-tolerance and endurance that was lost a sea about 35 years ago.

I imagine this will be true for everyone if you are lucky enough to keep diving long enough.

Back
Top Bottom