What Dive Gear & Accessories Have You REMOVED from Your Kit, or replaced with something different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkel (Never used it)
Apeks RK3 (Too flimsy)
Apeks RK3 HD (Not powerful enough in comparison to other negative fins)
Scubapro MK25AF & S600 Classic (Upgraded to Sealed Diaphragm)
Scubapro MK17Evo (Upgraded to Sealed Diaphragm with Turret)

What kind of reel do you have?
The primary SMB reel is a 100m/330' Kent Tooling reel - with a self-inflating SMB. This is really good to use in the water with a lovely clack-clack-clack sound as you wind it. Can also use it to batter things off a wreck it's that strong!

The backup SMB reel is a 50m/165' Custom Divers mini reel which nicely fits into the pocket with an SMB attached.

I thought I could use a reel safely with my DSMB, but found out otherwise. Finger spool works much better and doesn't give me near the agita that the reel did.

...Until you drop it!

That's exactly what I thought. Dropping the spool twice on one dive changed my mind. Suddenly all the additional "knitting" that's needed so the clip doesn't jump free; the grief when you surface to reliably clip the spool together whilst wearing thick gloves; and the obvious faff of dealing with spools that jump from your hand and dive for Neptune's Locker.

I'm trying to discover more what you got rid of (and why) rather than stuff that slowly became obsolete.

not obsolete, just better (for me) - all of it still functions as dive gear, some loaned out when needed.

BC was replaced with a back inflate because of conflict with suit valve (and fit). Both that BC and the back inflate were replaced because it would not fit me (tall/x-tall plates obtained as well as weight plates to reduce weight belt weight). The open front of a BP/W and back inflate is just liberating. Modularity makes it "future proof" as parts are easily replaced if worn or needs change.

Original mask was large, replaced with low volume style much nicer IMHO.

Computes were an evolution to much friendlier user interfaces and readability.

Cutting tools refined to meet actual need and use as well as travel restrictions.

Fins replaced to meet my needs of my kick.

Snorkel became a pocket snorkel (clutter/conflict).

Piston regs were replaced with sealed diaphragms for cold water. Vintage stuff is as good performing as much of the modern stuff.

Lights were an evolution in technology (size, brightness, battery run time)

Fancy three-window mask, the cheap ones have less displacement and I like them better
Heh.. I have one of those sitting at the bottom of my mask bag. I'd completely forgotten about it, but that's definitely something I bought but don't use anymore. That and clear skirt masks, which is part of the reason I have a "bag of masks." Well, also everyone who hears I'm a diver eventually gives me an old mask from their closet.

I much prefer a "normal" mask with a black skirt.

Forgot one...
Single button Oceanic computer. Getting through any menu was the biggest PITA. Just letting it run it was fine. The Nitrox options were so bad you never used them, and were pretty hosed if accidently got into them.
Replaced it with the Shearwater and dive computer life has been great. Probably the single best equipment upgrade done in a 30 years.
I acquired an Oceanic Datamaster with some regulators I bought. I managed to figure out how to replace the batteries on my own, and the thing appear to work. I just have no idea how to operate it with 1-button. I was thinking I might use it as an electronic pressure gauge for checking tank pressure, if I manage to acquire a spare 1st stage.
I feel this one. I have a 3 button Oceanic (VT3) and I have to dig the manual out every time I go on a trip because getting through the menus is so unintuitive I can't ever remember it. I can't imagine how a 1 button would even work but I can imagine it's bad.

I just bought a Mk2i for my next trip so the VT3 has become the backup. No point in a backup if you forget how to use it though, so I'll still be reading that manual every trip. :)

Stuff I got rid of over the years:
  • Dive knife. Can't even wear it most places I've dived. Never needed it anyway. I just have a line cutter now. If any newbie rec divers are reading this, don't buy a knife. Just don't. It's a waste of money.
  • Slate. "If I wanted to talk to you, I wouldn't be underwater" Never need to work on my thesis down there, either.
  • Split fins. I'm not a hater, but they did really suck the one time I had to push into some really wicked current. Just replaced with Deep6 Eddys.
  • Snorkel. I still bring it, because I do snorkel. It doesn't come on dives though. If I was diving a really remote place I would probably bring at least a pocket snorkel just in case the boat loses me and I gotta hang out for a day or two. Don't let people shame you!

That's about it. The many reviews and experiences posted by Scubaboard folks helped me avoid mistakes on my other gear. No other regrets.

Things you should never remove: SMB or DSMB. Light or strobe. Signal mirror. All cheap, all very portable. Could save your life.
  • One of my dive-buddies has a VT3.
  • My only use for dive-notes so far, is drawing a map of the dive-site before I dive. I was thinking about making a mini dive-notes notebook, basically cutting one down to about 1/4th the size, so if I really want to take notes I could but otherwise it wouldn't take up much space.
not obsolete, just better (for me) - all of it still functions as dive gear, some loaned out when needed.
Fair enough, ad thanks for the additional explanation!

...Until you drop it!

That's exactly what I thought. Dropping the spool twice on one dive changed my mind. Suddenly all the additional "knitting" that's needed so the clip doesn't jump free; the grief when you surface to reliably clip the spool together whilst wearing thick gloves; and the obvious faff of dealing with spools that jump from your hand and dive for Neptune's Locker.
I’ll take the hassle of dropping the spool over the line getting tangled on the spindle of the reel. Or forgetting to unlock the reel and having it drag me 20 feet up before I let go. A man’s got to know his limitations.

Spring straps for my fins.

Before I purchased a set I decided to try homemade bungee straps. After using the bungee straps for about a year I moved on to spring straps. I've since moved back to bungee-even replacing my Deep Six Eddy Fins spring straps with bungee. With bungee it is possible to adjust the exact amount of snugness I like. I also find putting on/taking off the fins easier. The weight savings is minimal, but with "heavy legs" every (torque) moment helps.

TBH I like spring or bungee over traditional heel straps.

I very rarely use a snorkel while in scuba gear, but I do like having one available. I now have a foldable snorkel in a pocket. Piranha Dive's Black Foldable Snorkel w/ Case Holder , Piranha Dive Shop |

Hmmm, let's see.

In 1968, Rule was something is better than nothing:

Mask, Voit oval
Fins, Voit Super Viking
BC, what is that??????? huh, a bag full of air you say, is this a joke!
SPG, nope, had a J valve
Knife, USD Sea Hawk
Computer, what is that? watch, depth gauge, compass
Regulator, USD Mistral or USD Calypso
DSMB, huh?
Camera, Kodak in a plastic box I made

Now some 53 years later 2021, Rule is less is more:

Mask prescription Atomic Frameless or Scubapro Frameless
Fins, Avanti Quattro, Eddy Fins, SP Go Sports (I am a fin-aholic in recovery)
BC, VDH plate with VDH 22# wing, Oxy UL plate with Oxy 18, Freedom Plate with Oxy 30
SPG, 1.5 inch B&P
Knife, Tekna titanium and some sort of line cutter thing
Computer, Shearwater Peregrine as main unit
Regulator, VDH Argonaut Kraken, AL Titan LX Supreme
DSMB, I keep buying spools and DSMBs and so far have not found one I am satisfied with
Camera, Nauticam NA6400

And no, I am not AI because it violates my guiding principle:

0-ixgk7p-Te2-E-J7w-I.png

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom