What Dive Gear & Accessories Have You REMOVED from Your Kit, or replaced with something different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody's mentioned a snorkel yet?

Got it because the OW course said to have it. Got rid of it after switching to long hose. Replaced with doing surface swims on my back.
That's because snorkels are like PTSD. We don't like to bring up those memories.

I only bought one because it was required for OW, and immediately after the class tossed it in a junk box. I pulled it back out during the AOW class, just in case the instructor demanded it and wouldn't pass me without one. Everyone else had a snorkel equipped, but I kept my mouth shut. Since he never mentioned the snorkel, I left it in the car, and then tossed it back in the junk box.

I know some people keep a foldable snorkel in their pouch, but even that I don't feel any incentive to carry one in my pouch even if someone gave me one for free.

Dive Slate - I bought one that glowed in the dark, had 3 pages, and a slot for a pencil. 1-week later I discovered dive-notes are a thing.

Replaced
- 2 x Tovatec 530 lights
- Apeks WSX 25
- 2 pair of SP Jet fins & Deep 6 Eddy's
- Zeagle Onyx II 1st & 2nds
- DUI XM450
- DUI zip gloves

Replaced with
- 3 x DGX 600 lights (great little backups)
- xDeep Stealth 2.0 TEC
- Apeks RK3 HD
- Apeks DST/XTX50 SM Set
- Fourth Element Arctic
- Kubi ring system

...and other misc worn out items...

I keep buying bigger and bigger DSMBs. When they make a 10 meter version, I'm in.
I bought a 3 meter dsmb. It's too big, I've never used it. There's just so much material involved that it's the size of a pony bottle (when deflated and rolled up). I didn't list it as removed because it never really got added in the first place.

If I need bigger than a regular 6' dsmb, I'll bring a flare gun.

That's because snorkels are like PTSD. We don't like to bring up those memories.

I only bought one because it was required for OW, and immediately after the class tossed it in a junk box. I pulled it back out during the AOW class, just in case the instructor demanded it and wouldn't pass me without one. Everyone else had a snorkel equipped, but I kept my mouth shut. Since he never mentioned the snorkel, I left it in the car, and then tossed it back in the junk box.

I know some people keep a foldable snorkel in their pouch, but even that I don't feel any incentive to carry one in my pouch even if someone gave me one for free.

Sadly some beach lifeguards have asked me where mine is... :shakehead: I told him they are on the snorkelers I'm scuba diving.

Calf mounted knife. Replaced with small titanium on BC and trilobite on wrist computer.

And of course snorkel. Switched for roll up. I actually used it a couple weeks ago.

Started with(1988):

DACOR 960 first stage, two ScubaPro 109 Adjustables, and a TUSA Console (added a bottom timer module to it within a year)
DACOR SeaChute UTS BC
DACOR TurboFlex Fins
DACOR VistaVue Mask
DACOR snorkel
DACOR BFK
SAS custom tailored wet suit
Big honkin' IkeLite pistol grip light
PADI Wheel
Bare 3mm Shortie

Went to:
ScubaPro mask
DUI CF200 DrySuit
ScubaPro MK-10 first and upgraded seconds to 156 balanced
DUI Delta Back-Inflate
DUI Weight Harness
Turtle Fins

Then DSS BP/W (and a bunch of tech gear)

Then ScubaPro MK-17/G250v regs

Then doubles

Then multiple various SP regulators (I likely have just about all of them, old and new)
Then an Argonaut Kraken & Vintage Plate + Wing
Then Vintage USD doubler Hoses
Then Voit double hoses
Then other old regulators
Various fin brands
Various Masks
Various Lights
Reels/spools
Then more wings of various sizes
Then a new Wetwear custom wet suit
Dogbone Plate
Freedom Plate
FFM
Couple more DSS Plates

and then computers.....

Oh, and lots of tanks...

I basically own a dive shop......

.2 aluminum plates , not used [much] hanging on a wall in the garage, still have 2 SS plates and 2 wings now not used as much.
.Aqualung 450t AI computer, can't read it where it counts, under water [can't sell it, nobody wants it] now have Shearwater.
This is too depressing, a lot of gear laying around not used, fins, masks, old safety sausages, large dive knifes etc and so on.
.Long hose, now sits in a box, dive solo a lot,and if diving a local charter , an alternate on a little long hose.
.The SP Hydros Pro is used more than the plates and wings on local boat dives , easy on/off for "an old flatulence" like me, some boat ladders on some boats are "rubbish" to climb , made it easy for myself.
It's DIR for me.
Sold some old cylinders, only keep 2 now, hydro every year here is expensive !!

Which "Big suit pockets" do you use? I've done some fairly extensive modifications to my "sidemount butt pouch" and am always looking for ideas.

Ah, big pockets & sidemount don't mix! Big buttpouch to stash a couple of SMBs. Still keep the spare mask in the RH pocket though.

Self-inflating ones are generally quite bulky although the CO2 cartridge SMBs are much smaller than the "crack bottle" versions (with the tiny 0.1 litre cylinder that's filled from a passing open circuit diver's cylinders) which are quite large, way too big for a pocket.

TBH I hated the size of the self-inflating DSMBs until I moved to a rebreather where you don't have any spare gas (certainly not using expensive bailout for putting up an SMB!). I could use my drysuit inflator to inflate the SMB as I've done for years of OC diving, but I just don't want to mess around when on the rebreather, so use the self-inflating ones. Also having a decent heavy reel helps at deco, if nothing more than a reference in the water. (Where we dive there's plenty of current so you need to throw the bag up above the wreck so the skipper can see you, hence need a long line)

Spools -- only recently have I finally stopped using these tools of Satan for putting up an SMB, swapping over to the reliability of a reel (drop a reel and it stays put; drop a spool and it plummets down unwinding all the way to the end of the string and is a royal PITA to wind back up again). Have a small 60m/200' Custom Divers reel that fits in the pocket for the backup SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom