• Nikon

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Fuji

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Kodak

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I each use a Sony DCR PC-100 in an Ocean Images Housing - love the ability to do video or stills. Have had the setup for over 2 years now and done lots of dives in Florida Keys and Gulf as well as Truk Lagoon. Headed to the Pacific again in the spring.

I just upgraded from a 4040z to a 5050z. I'm still waiting for the underwater housing to arrive from Singapore.

This poll would show most popular within a small sample group of divers.

This however does not mean OLYMPUS is the best. It would indicate it MIGHT be the most popular brand.

I do agree that most places I go, I see divers holding an OLYMPUS in a housing.

BEST is subjective to your taste and purpose, and most probably your wallet or purse.

For example cars, which is the BEST? Honda and Toyotas... are all over the place, are they best?

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
Oly 4040z and PT-10. Haven't gotten it wet yet but it has fine underwater provenance from it's prior artist.

I hope Chris' Mojo came along with that camera! We could all use some of his expertise.

Oly 3040 and PT-10 since October 2001. No special lenses or external strobe yet. I was thinking about it, then I bought a drysuit instead.

I like the small size and relative simplicity without a strobe, but I will eventually buy one as I could use more light sometimes. And I would like to get rid of the sparklies on some shots.

I have done about 120 dives with this setup so far. I am very pleased with it, though I have never used any other u/w camera so I can't really compare.

Deepest dive with it 35m, rated 30m. Sometimes I wonder if the plastic case really will survive, but it always has so far. My only complaint is that the macro mode button sometimes does not engage when I am at 30m. This only happens once in a while, but it always works if I keep trying it.

I find a set of 1700 mA-hr NiMH batteries lasts 1 1/2 dives with the flash on high and the screen on. I have not yet figured out how to change batteries underwater, so I change them each surface interval, whether I think they are low or not.

I have only ever had a fogging problem if I let the camera warm up in the sun before the dive. I am careful to keep it out of the sun and I find I don't need the package of dessicant. This may not be true in a more humid location.

I almost always take it with me because I KNOW that I will miss the photo of a lifetime if I don't bring it.

I find I am seeing vastly more of the smaller ocean life because I am always looking for something to photograph.

I have a Canon D30 that I picked up last year. Now I need a housing and strobe. Does anybody here have any first-hand experience with the D30 underwater??

After two years of shooting DV using a PC-100 with LMI Mako Housing (I finally got enough money together to buy the LMI HID light system last month), I bought a Minolta DiMage Xi with the optional Minolta housing rated to 30m.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Olympus, but the thing is sooooo small. The total thickness of the housing is 5cm, and it fits easily into any BC pocket. The camera itself is only 2cm thick, but still has a 3x optical zoom. I would recommend this strongly as a second or backup camera that you can take with you anywhere. I find that since it is small, I sometimes opt to take it down rather than the video rig.

Took it down last weekend for the first time and the results are pretty good. I want to buy the macro lens from S&S next. Lighting would be nice but current strobes are too big for the system.

I just bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I know it's not the best aval but I got a good price on it. Now if I can only save my pennies for a couple of years I may be able to afford a housing and a strobe. Until then I keep learning how to use my MMII-EX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom