• Nikon

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Fuji

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Kodak

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Reefmaster digital

it takes good pictures down to 200 feet, and so far has been water tight down to 300

.. which I bought with the Marine Pack, rated at 40m. The reason I bought this camera originally was so I had a convenient camera to pack into my pocket when I didn't want to carry an SLR around.

Same goes for using the camera with the housing - it easily fits into my BC pocket when not in use. Although underwater you never know when something is going to swim out of under a rock, so it generally stays in my hand until my safety stop anyway.

One major problem with this (and any other point-n-shoot camera, for that matter) is the huge amount of back scatter caused by the inbuilt flash. When my budget has recovered somewhat, a slave strobe is definately in order.

You can quite easily see the backscatter in the last picture of a southern fiddler ray.

043-devilfish.jpg

043-littlefish.jpg

044-peekaboo.jpg

045-skate.jpg

Got a 4040 and PT-010 housing two weeks ago (bought both in Singapore). Don't have a strobe yet. Haven't dived yet but I did use it at the UnderwaterWorld aquarium, Sentosa in Singapore :D Right now, I'm looking at getting a teleconverter lens for land use since I also love shooting land and seascapes. I'm not sure, though, if 4040 accessories are available here in Manila. Next project will be underwater macro lens. I'm so broke. :eek:

Hi. I bought mine at TKFoto, a shop in Suntec Mall. But don't buy from there. I later found out they were selling it at a higher price. Too bad for me, I just did not have the time to canvass the prices since I had to leave the following day at once for a cruise and I needed the camera and housing for that. When I came back to Singapore, I spent some time at Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza (along Orchard Road) and saw the lower prices.

You'll get good deals at Lucky Plaza. The lowest I was offered (of course, already had my camera then) was S$900 just for the camera. You can also try Sim Lim Square, the lowest I saw also around S$900. The housing should be around S$300. I bought both (camera and housing) for S$1,400 at TKFoto. And the store manager and his assistant LIED about the camera specs. I specifically told them that I needed an NTSC camera (you'll need it to display pictures on an NTSC-based TV) and they told me it was. When I got back to my hotel, I found out it was PAL. When I asked them about it, they told me they did not have an NTSC-based 4040.

Anyway, what I did was I bought a video signal converter at Sim Lim Square (~S$150) so I the pictures will display right. DON'T BUY AT TKFOTO. The guys at Sim Lim and Lucky Plaza sell both PAL and NTSC models. Hope this helps.

Regards,

I just purchased a Canon G2 4 megapixel camera and it is unbelievable. I am ordering the Ikelite housing, DS-50 strobe with Wireless TTL slave and Deluxe Arm System. Anyone have this setup or similar?

How does the internal flash work with the Ikelite. Even though I will be using the external strobe, I was wondering if that works well in shallower areas like tide pools, etc?

Any tips, tricks, etc. Any condensation and what type of lenses can I or should I get for the Ikelight. I belive it is a 52or 58mm thread.

Thanks

I have the G2 that I just got an Ikelite housing for. If you haven't placed the order yet, or if you can change it, spend the extra $$ and splurge for the DS-125 strobe. From what I've heard from other users with experience with both, the DS-50 is pretty weak for many applications. Also, the 125 has some very nice features that the 50 does not - modeling light, very fast recycle times, etc. An extra $250 well spent, IMHO.

Haven't had a chance to take my setup underwater yet, will have much more experience with it in about a month or so, once I get back from Bonaire. Also, if I remember correctly, the lens thread on the Ikelite housing is 69mm. Sea&Sea and Inon make wide angle lenses that will fit the housing. Note, that if you're using a wide angle lens, you will need to use the external strobe, since the lens' bulk will block the built-in flash. This doesn't answer all your questions, but hopefully I've been helpful.

-Roman.

Scubamaniac once bubbled...
I just purchased a Canon G2 4 megapixel camera and it is unbelievable. I am ordering the Ikelite housing, DS-50 strobe with Wireless TTL slave and Deluxe Arm System. Anyone have this setup or similar?

How does the internal flash work with the Ikelite. Even though I will be using the external strobe, I was wondering if that works well in shallower areas like tide pools, etc?

Any tips, tricks, etc. Any condensation and what type of lenses can I or should I get for the Ikelight. I belive it is a 52or 58mm thread.

Thanks

I've been shooting photos since last June. When I purchased my rig I did some research and found that the olympus 3040 was a good choice because (at the time) it was the only camera which had a cheap (and good) housing available.

Now, there are many different models of cameras available that have housings. In my opinion the Olympus is still one of the better bets for an underwater digital camera, however if you really want to drop some change - the nikon d100 (as well as the kodak/canon variants) are the way to go.....

I recently purchased an ikelite housing from B&H photo for my 3040 (an upgrade from the olympus housing). I have had the DS-125 since Jan or so, and had to send it back once due to the sensor error that was posted a while ago. As far as the DS-125 goes, I haven't had the best of luck with it. A few of the photos that I have shot have turned out spectacular, however more often than not the "TTL sensor" doesn't quite cut the mustard. Quite possibly it was because I was using the olympus housing, and that the ikelite housing will make a difference (don't know since I haven't dove it yet), I'm crossing my fingers.

As far as the DS-50, don't count it out yet. I plan on getting one as a fill flash, to kill the harsh shadows, in addition to my DS-125 (which is more of a wide angle strobe anyhow). If you do macro, the DS-50 will work fine. My next upgrade (when the next payday rolls around) I plan is the Sea&Sea wide angle lens, again from B&H (they sell everything for such a great price!).....

Yey! An Oly 5050 and PT015!

Yessir, got the 5050 on Saturday(14th Dec) and the PT015 this morning.

Been fiddling all weekend with it - getting mixed results because I'm still getting used the 1001 settings you use - and loving it.

Dropped it in the PT015 (on land) and it looks promising. Bit bigger than I expected.

Can't wait to take it for a dive... hopefully friday.

:)

Back
Top Bottom