What Cussler book should I start with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espiritu

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am off on a 10 day dive trip and want some good recreational (scuba related) reading. Based on other threads, I have decised on something by Clive Cussler (fictional as I have already read his NUMA non-fiction)

I went to the book store and became confused as there are so many Cussler fiction books.

Which one or two books would be the best to start with?

Thanks!

Go for the full time-warp experience and start at the beginning. The Mediterranean Caper and Iceberg.

Absolutely

Definately start from the beginning.

Here's the list of Dirk Pitts books in order

The Mediterranean Caper (1973) Released as "MAYDAY!" in the United Kingdom.
Iceberg (1975)
Raise the Titanic! (1976)
Vixen 03 (1978)
Night Probe! (1981)
Pacific Vortex! (1983) Although Pacific Vortex was released in 1983, it is actually the first Dirk Pitt novel. The events of Pacific Vortex happen before those of The Mediterranean Caper.
Deep Six (1984)
Cyclops (1986)
Treasure (1988)
Dragon (1990)
Sahara (1992)
Inca Gold (1994)
Shock Wave (1996)
Flood Tide (1997)
Atlantis Found (1999)
Valhalla Rising (2001)
Trojan Odyssey (2003)
Black Wind (2004)
Treasure of Khan (2006)

There is also a Dirk Pitt reference book:
Clive Cussler and Dirk Pitt Revealed (1998)

Dirk Pitt Jr. adventure novels
(co-authored with Dirk Cussler)

Black Wind (2004)
The Treasure of Khan (2006)

NUMA Files adventure novels
(co-authored with Paul Kemprecos)

This series of books features Kurt Austin, head of NUMA's Special Projects division. Some characters from the Pitt novels appear such as Sandecker, Rudi Gunn, Hiram Yager and St. Julien Perlmutter. Pitt makes brief appearances in the books "Serpent", "White Death" and "Polar Shift."

Serpent (1999)
Blue Gold (2000)
Fire Ice (2002)
White Death (2003)
Lost City (2004)
Polar Shift (2005)

Marc

Great information. I will start from the beginning. I have another week before I leave and I know my book store has the fisrt two titles.

Cheers

Starting from the beginning is a good idea (the early ones are the best imo), but Night Probe got me interested in the Empress of Ireland. A wreck in the St Lawrence river that is on my must dive list. Enjoy

Andrew

espiritu:
I am off on a 10 day dive trip and want some good recreational (scuba related) reading. Based on other threads, I have decised on something by Clive Cussler (fictional as I have already read his NUMA non-fiction)

I went to the book store and became confused as there are so many Cussler fiction books.

Which one or two books would be the best to start with?

Thanks!

I enjoyed Vixen 03 and Night Probe.

Bear in mind that his books are not "diving fiction" per se.

Like most I have read them all....with the "Oregon" series becoming my favorite with the Jack DeBruul co-authored ones the best....his books are also very good.

Can anyone who's read these give me some feedback:
Serpent (1999)
Blue Gold (2000)
Fire Ice (2002)
White Death (2003)
Lost City (2004)
Polar Shift (2005)

I realize you don't view the acts of people in the past with eyes in the present but I found the incredible sexism of the original Dirk Pitt books a bit wearing. Are the newer books a little more in keeping with the current times?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom