What computer would you recommend for Tek Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan to continue with tek diving and complete my trimix certifcation in the future. I want to purchase a computer i won't have to replace for many years. Any suggestions?
Back to the original question - which computer. I have been diving a Nitek He for several years. Works well for multi-gas diving, including deco with several gases. Also handles helium mixtures. The problems are not with the computer, the deco algorithm, etc. Rather I find the display hard to read, particularly at depth, in dark / low vis conditions. Now I have added a Liquivision X1. Highly (and I would underline that, put it in bold face italics, and add exclamation points) recommend the X1, based on ease of use, and the best / brightest display i have encountered (and time that displays seconds). If you are already spending the money to move into trimix, spending the $1700 or so on a X1 is really not that big a deal.
Personally, I find the debates about the relative 'conservatism' of different computers to be interesting. Generally, one sentiment seems to be that 'some computers are too conservative, so I will look for a less conservative one.' Is this somewhat akin to repeatedly asking a question until you get the answer you want to begin with. I cannot comment on the relative 'conservatism' of different units, rather I continue to cut tables, dive my plan, and use my computer as an important secondary source of information. I figure that whatever software I use for tables (DPLAN in my case) will provide a reasonably appropriate dive plan.

The Liquivision has a beautiful display, a nice interface(taps, no buttons) and can be wired into your CCR if you go that way in the future. It also lets you use the software/decompression model that you wish, currently either VPM(V-Planner Live) or Buhlmann GF(GAP).

...Plan your dive, dive your plan. If the dive hit the fan get you backup tables out and come home alive and safe.

I have to agree with the Capt. As Tech goes, you must plan your dive and dive your plan. Sorry, there is no room for "fudging". :shakehead: But if you must dive computers I would recommend the Liquidvision X1. Still, I would make sure my tablet is with me. (I want to be able to go home.)

The Liquivision has a beautiful display, a nice interface(taps, no buttons) and can be wired into your CCR if you go that way in the future. It also lets you use the software/decompression model that you wish, currently either VPM(V-Planner Live) or Buhlmann GF(GAP).

Buhlmann/GAP is not available for the X1 - Still in "Beta" now for the last 4-5+ months.

Buhlmann/GAP is not available for the X1 - Still in "Beta" now for the last 4-5+ months.

GAP has been available for the X1 for over a year. Sure, the manufacturer still calls it a beta release, but that is their choice, and simply a warning that there could still be bugs.

There is also a new, 3rd software package being released for the X1 at Beneath the Sea in late March.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Most of us tech divers do not use computers to calculate deco but use bottom timers. We just plain our dive with tables and dive our plain. I would never use a computer on the fly. I'm 100% DIR so my answer will not be the one your looking for.

What else comes out of your mouth when I pull the string?

+1 for Liquivision

Last edited:
Most of us tech divers do not use computers to calculate deco but use bottom timers. We just plain our dive with tables and dive our plain. I would never use a computer on the fly. I'm 100% DIR so my answer will not be the one your looking for.

All the dives I have been on every one of us had a computer. We also cut tables and "plan the dive, then dive the plan". But stuff happens. You could go deeper, stay longer, or do the opposite. The tables are the bible, but no one leaves the water till the computer clears (or gas runs out).
To the OP, I use the VR3 in monochrome. And contrary to what has been posted, it is a fairly conservative computer. I set V-planner on conservative level 4 and pretty much matches on run time. You also tell it when you switch gasses, it is not automatic. If you forget to acknowledge a switch, it calculates remaining deco on backgas. (You only do that once). YMMV
Charlie

To me Tables are very easy to read and understand. Having changing the programed gases on the dive adding more load tasking that's not need. ( too much for me)

As too Cwkline "You could go deeper, stay longer, or do the opposite."

Tech diving take Discipline not to go deeper than your MOD ( ether MOD set by team or MOD by ppO2 , Dive time exe. In TDI ADV nitrox and Deco you learn not to break that rule.

Back
Top Bottom