What computer would you recommend for Tek Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A computer that does not revert to gauge mode after being bent is pretty dumb. I have a simple Aeris 1 gas nitrox computer that I use on Trimix dives. Sure it gets bent after 1 dive but then it thinks its a bottom timer. (And before I get flamed I use a Uwatec bottom timer as well)

Since "tech" diving implies mixed gases and multiple breathing mixes in use on a single dive I cannot see how any computer could handle such profiles which is why most "tech" divers who actually do tech diving use a bottom timer and depth gauge or similar and the appropriate tables.

N

Very informative, thanks guys.

Actually, tech computers handle these situations very well. The more complicated the situation is, the bigger advantage they have.

Although I can't prove it, I really doubt that most tech divers don't use computers. Certainly in my experience, people on boats I have been on in the last 10 years overwhelmingly use computers.

I guess we have different experiences.

Bruce

Since "tech" diving implies mixed gases and multiple breathing mixes in use on a single dive I cannot see how any computer could handle such profiles which is why most "tech" divers who actually do tech diving use a bottom timer and depth gauge or similar and the appropriate tables.

N

Actually, tech computers handle these situations very well. The more complicated the situation is, the bigger advantage they have.

Although I can't prove it, I really doubt that most tech divers don't use computers. Certainly in my experience, people on boats I have been on in the last 10 years overwhelmingly use computers.

I guess we have different experiences.

Bruce

Perhaps in another thread you could provide the information on how that is done. Seriously, how do they work, how does the computer know when to shift from a trimix to a deco mix etc? Being as I am not DIR I can use a computer--lol. Of course, I might have to sell my Jeep to buy one. Do you pre-program your profile?

N

Perhaps in another thread you could provide the information on how that is done. Seriously, how do they work, how does the computer know when to shift from a trimix to a deco mix etc? Being as I am not DIR I can use a computer--lol. Of course, I might have to sell my Jeep to buy one. Do you pre-program your profile?

N

Although some computers can do gas switches based on depth, I have been less that satisfied with the results. I prefer to tell the computer when I switch gases not let the computer tell me.

N

Attached is the VR3 manual...

http://www.vr3.co.uk/downloads/manuals/HD VR Manual.pdf

... and since Shearwater have been so helpfull, a link to their manuals...

http://www.shearwater.com/pages/library/

Very simply - Enter your gases and PPO2 set points to allow the computer to calculate MOD's for the various gases. Computer will calculate stops optimizing the gases you have available to minimize deco time.
You can switch gases when the computer recommends doing so.
You can switch gases when you want to.
You can stay on the same gas and ignore the computers recommendation.

These computers support nitrox, trimix, closed circuit, and bailout options as well. Ideally you would plan your deco dive with software/tables as well.

Last edited:
As you requested:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4196220-post1.html

N

A computer that does not revert to gauge mode after being bent is pretty dumb. I have a simple Aeris 1 gas nitrox computer that I use on Trimix dives. Sure it gets bent after 1 dive but then it thinks its a bottom timer. (And before I get flamed I use a Uwatec bottom timer as well)

I found this to be one of many nice things of the Liquivision X1 utilizing V-Planner live. You can force the computer to switch to 50% Nitrox at 200 feet, and it will do it. You'll get a flashing warning, but it will keep calculating. You can then switch back and continue your dive. You can exceed the recommended stop a little and it will keep calculating. You can pull your stops deeper than it tells you and it will keep calculating.

I found it nice to use a computer that would not go into error mode immediately if you make a mistake or modify your plan. A computer simply shutting down and going into some type of error mode is not all that helpful. Switching to guage mode is also not ideal although a better option than error mode.

Of course the output the computer is only as good as the user input. In real life you'd want to follow the computer recommended stops fairly closely. Although there are real life scenarios where you may want to modify your plan a little and it's nice to have a computer that can handle this.

Mat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom