What chemicals for disinfecting regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put a couple cap fills into a 10g bucket that we keep our rental regs in so you're in the ball park. It's similar to chlorine in that low dose disinfects with time and larger doses with less time.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the use of chlorine bleach and iodine-based sanitizers from my other hobby: homebrewing. I just had no clue about Dettol.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the use of chlorine bleach and iodine-based sanitizers from my other hobby: homebrewing. I just had no clue about Dettol.

Funny......I'm a fluids engineer.......and a big fan of beer!

What's the difference between all the options? Steramine, SaniZide, Dettol

I'm 73 been diving since 10 years old. This is the first time I ever thought about this subject. Why not just use it, never been a problem for me rinse with fresh water when through. Maybe all those recommendations for a product are $$$$$$$

We use Microban in the aquarium we dive in. 14 volunteer dive teams (one day every two weeks) sharing equipment. Rinse the regs, spray mouthpieces with Microban, wait 10 mins, rinse again, hang to dry. No health issues after many years.

Most disinfectants are designed to work on clean surfaces. If there is a lot of 'gunk' (mucous, saliva) stuck in nooks and crannies it cannot penetrate to do it's job. You think your doing a good thing, but you aren't really doing a whole lot. Clean well first (at least rinse well), then disinfect.

The 2nd stage has a lot of edges and places for saliva to collect. A simple dunk doesn't do a very good rinse job. Use a semi-clear mouthpiece for a year and you'll see growth + discoloration on it, usually serratia and some other fungi. You won't see it with a black mouthpiece, but it's still there. Same inside the reg.

Occasionally you should open the reg up, spray simple green or such into it, then go at it with a soft toothbrush. Remove the mouthpiece and do the same thing. Then soak in your disinfectant of choice. I just use 50:50 vinegar:water for 10-30 minutes. It works well for these kind of organisms.

Ok, I have to ask, why are you wanting to sanitize regulators? Are you concerned about bodily fluids being transferred or are you concerned about biological hazards. Before I throw in my two centI want to make sure your not confusing sanitizing with decontamination. Both are totally different.

"Theoretically" it's your germs/organisms, as long as you are not swapping regs with other people, like rentals or volunteer shifts at the Aquarium, what's the problem?
OTOH, your biological debris is a pretty good culture to grow stuff that is not at all related to you. You will deposit some on every dive. There is always some water in a reg. There is always air under pressure with some pretty decent air movement. So....grow some new bugs and fungi in that gunk, get it all wet and softened up, atomize the whole mess up, and inhale deeply.
I don't see any issue with that, do you? :gas:

Should make you appreciate how robust our immune systems are. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom