What can YOU teach me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well new divers who aren't used to the area should leave them alone because they will have too much else going on with the SMBs and the currents and the boiling hot sun and the frigid water and the blue rings under every rock and all poisonous snakes and spiders and drop bears that infest this place. When you get a bit more experienced at Melbourne diving and are not so task loaded, you can interact a bit more with them. I carry my camera on every dive pretty much and even dive with seals now and then to try to get a look in but no luck so far.
You forgot the hoop Snakes :D
Actually, maybe I should just post a link to the Scared Wierd Little guys' song Come to Australia. :rofl3:
Still pretty inexperience but Agree with a lot of what Sas had to say.Can be challenging, but plenty of good dives.

The one thing I would add is that some of the shore dives on the outside of the heads supposedly need some experience and good swimming skills. They can be fairly rough.

Sas, definately worth a trip to Tassie.

Great thread Mike!

I just saw and played with Google Earth yesterday for the first time on a friends computer (my operating system is too old and slow). I was impressed.

This thread reminds me of that...Google Earth Diving!

I'll add to Lynne's excellent description of PNW diving and add that the distinguishing characteristic here is that we are in salt water but that this is inland water (90 miles from open ocean).

This area was carved out by glaciers (I think) and therefore shore diving (plentiful) is deep, with limited viz and it's cold. Because of this we have many opportunities for night diving since a boat isn't needed and locations are close to most everyone.

Because of our removal from the open ocean, current is an issue in many locations since all that water has to pass to and fro the narrow passageways of the straits of Juan de Fuca. Here you'll see Giant Pacific Octoput, Wolf Eels, and in some years if you're lucky Sixgill Sharks.

The one thing I would add is that some of the shore dives on the outside of the heads supposedly need some experience and good swimming skills. They can be fairly rough.

True, as well as being able to plan around tides. Some of the backbeaches are much safer at low tide, for example. WELL worth the walk down and hassle getting in and out and the surge though!

Sas, definately worth a trip to Tassie.

Yea hope to soon. First is SA, then Tassie :)

Croatian/Adriatic diving is mostly on walls and wrecks (no tides to worry about, but can sometimes have some current). In the northern parts visibility is about 5-10m, southern 20-30m (it gets better as you go south but the depth also increases). Typical dive is to at least 30m depth and down there temp is about 15C in the summer. Surface temps are from 9C (winter) to 24C (summer) so even in summer you should use at least 2 peaces 5mm suit and dry suit in the winter. Not much life down here but a lot of diversity (you just need to find it)... Southern walls often go directly to 60 or more meters so good bouyancy is a must.

Great thread!

Here in South Africa, or let's restrict it to the east coast, which is where we do most of our diving, you will encounter the following. And this applies to most of Mozambique as well.

1. Surf launches in a RIB which can be pretty daunting at times. In the hands of a skilled skipper, even the nastiest of breakers can be navigated through but not all skippers are equally skilled. You don't want to be on a RIB operated by a Rambo skipper. For the most part, I actually think the surf launch adds to the experience rather than detract from it.

2. Varying sea conditions (as if that ever needs mentioning). But seriously, at times the sea will look like a mirror, at times it will be a washing machine. You rarely know what you're going to get, especially concerning the underwater conditions. It rarely happens though that the dive is undoable because of the underwater surge.

3. Plenty of coral. You'd want to manage your buoyancy so you don't crash into it. For one, you don't want to damage the coral, but secondly some of it can inflict nasty burns, rashes and the likes.

4. Plenty of critters and creatures, some of which can be pretty dangerous - even the harmless-looking ones. I have yet to encounter a diver who's befallen serious misfortune as a result of a Scorpionfish sting, Electric Ray zap or Tiger Shark munch, which is probably because none of these creatures are by nature aggressive but also because most divers know to be careful.

5. African sun. Don't underestimate the intensity of the sun here in Africa. I don't know why it should be worse here than anywhere else but the sun here takes steady aim and will nail you wholesale if you don't take precaution.

6. Hawkers. As in most poor countries you should be ready to fend off hawkers everywhere. Some will try to sell you souvenirs, which is fine I guess, but they can be hasslesome. Some will offer to guard your car, which is ridiculous but what can you do? Some will just beg for money. Just know that you cannot escape this fact of life.

7. Guided dives. You will in all likelihood end up on a dive with a designated DM whom you'll have to follow around. This is not always a bad thing and they are often very clued up as to the nice spots on the reef. Sometimes I wish I had more freedom to hang around a spot that I like though.

8. No anchor lines. You'll be following the DM who'll be carrying a buoy line. The boat follows this buoy and consequently, if you can't see the buoy line, you are by definition lost. There have been very few incidents where divers get lost in open seas but the thought of it is sufficiently frightening that I do my level best to remain within sight of the buoy line and also carry my own SMB with me just in case.

True, as well as being able to plan around tides. Some of the backbeaches are much safer at low tide, for example. WELL worth the walk down and hassle getting in and out and the surge though!

Yea hope to soon. First is SA, then Tassie :)

Cape Schanck rocks. The 100m up, 1+km walk back does not rock. Doing it before the walkway was built rocked less. I used to live at the light house. That rocked.

Great thread!

Here in South Africa, or let's restrict it to the east coast, which is where we do most of our diving, you will encounter the following. And this applies to most of Mozambique as well.

1. Surf launches in a RIB which can be pretty daunting at times. In the hands of a skilled skipper, even the nastiest of breakers can be navigated through but not all skippers are equally skilled. You don't want to be on a RIB operated by a Rambo skipper. For the most part, I actually think the surf launch adds to the experience rather than detract from it.

2. Varying sea conditions (as if that ever needs mentioning). But seriously, at times the sea will look like a mirror, at times it will be a washing machine. You rarely know what you're going to get, especially concerning the underwater conditions. It rarely happens though that the dive is undoable because of the underwater surge.

3. Plenty of coral. You'd want to manage your buoyancy so you don't crash into it. For one, you don't want to damage the coral, but secondly some of it can inflict nasty burns, rashes and the likes.

4. Plenty of critters and creatures, some of which can be pretty dangerous - even the harmless-looking ones. I have yet to encounter a diver who's befallen serious misfortune as a result of a Scorpionfish sting, Electric Ray zap or Tiger Shark munch, which is probably because none of these creatures are by nature aggressive but also because most divers know to be careful.

5. African sun. Don't underestimate the intensity of the sun here in Africa. I don't know why it should be worse here than anywhere else but the sun here takes steady aim and will nail you wholesale if you don't take precaution.

6. Hawkers. As in most poor countries you should be ready to fend off hawkers everywhere. Some will try to sell you souvenirs, which is fine I guess, but they can be hasslesome. Some will offer to guard your car, which is ridiculous but what can you do? Some will just beg for money. Just know that you cannot escape this fact of life.

7. Guided dives. You will in all likelihood end up on a dive with a designated DM whom you'll have to follow around. This is not always a bad thing and they are often very clued up as to the nice spots on the reef. Sometimes I wish I had more freedom to hang around a spot that I like though.

8. No anchor lines. You'll be following the DM who'll be carrying a buoy line. The boat follows this buoy and consequently, if you can't see the buoy line, you are by definition lost. There have been very few incidents where divers get lost in open seas but the thought of it is sufficiently frightening that I do my level best to remain within sight of the buoy line and also carry my own SMB with me just in case.

Well, you are meeting one now. Allow me to introduce myself! I'm the guy who was swimming along a beautiful reef in Cabo Pulmo, just two hours drive North of Los Cabos in Baja, California (Mexico). I saw a cute little ray lying on the sand, about the size of a small dinner plate. I reached out to poke it, but it didn't respond, so naturally, being a moron, I poked it again. It jumped up off the bottom and swam towards me, glancing off my chest, and delivered an electric shock that almost knocked me unconscious.

I agree that being lost at sea is a truly frightening prospect. Currents always worry me the most.

Goes to a main point ... don't touch things you don't know.

Up here in British Columbia - something that has yet to be mentioned is that there is no such thing as a guided dive with a DM unless you specifically hire such a person. You are on your own, and expected to be able to plan a dive and navigate whatever it is down there on your own and come back on your own. (With a buddy of course.)

Typical dive brief is, current is coming from that direction, keep the rock on your left, go down swim around come back up, best stuff is at X feet. Watch for Y - wolf eels, octo etc.

There is a range of diving for every ability from easy shore entries, to high current diving. Vis can range from can't see your hand in front of your face to 100+ feet. Time of year and location make a huge difference. Vancouver Island alone is some 300 miles long and that is just the largest of many many islands. The possibilities are more than most will ever exhaust in a lifetime.

Can't believe no one has listed the Great Lakes yet! (or maybe I missed it). It is pretty much also a "you are on your own" diving atmosphere unless you're tying up to a wreck with some other boats. Water temp is, well... cold... (thermoclines can be your best friend) and Viz can depend on the day and the lake (Lake Michigan can be silty with viz ranging from an inch to 50 feet... Lake Superior is simply beautiful blue/green). Wreck diving is the best you can get anywhere.... What to bring....

1. Twelve pack of beer - you will need this to bribe a boat off of a wreck. Brand is not important if your encouter is above the bridge... This method is effective with both divers and fishermen.

2. Six pack of soda - Name brand IS important as you are going to be offering these to the DNR/Coast Guard.

3. Extra bag of homemade cookies - Not only does this make friends with unknown divers tied up behind you but is also especially effective when combined with #1 and #2.

4. Packet of crackers - Friday night fire rings are perfect to practice your ability to use these. The purpose of the crackers is to land them quietly on the bow of the boat that has tied up behind you so that they are too busy dealing with a gang of seagulls to notice that you are suiting up first.

5. Camera - To capture item #4 on film.

6. Shorts, tank top, long pants, t-shirt, sweat pants, sweat shirt, ball cap, winter cap, mittens/gloves and a winter jacket. The weather changes very quickly throughout the day. Between the weather and coming out of the cold water, you may use all of the above items in a 2-4 hour span.

7. Throat Losenges - These are especially important if you are going to be diving in Alger Preserve. After the 20th time yelling "I have divers in the water you ******* *******" because the folks that rented the pontoon boats have no clue on what a dive flag is, your throat may become raw.

8. A Map of Michigan - When you think that the restaurant closed an hour early, you can consult the map and realize that Michigan actually has two time zones. (You'd be amazed at the arguments).

Now for advice:

Never, ever, ever use a mask with a purge valve for an ice dive.... There are not enough *'s for that kind of brain freeze....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom