What can I log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log most all of my dives including aquarium dives. Just because the rest of the world doesnt count it as a open water doesnt mean I cant :). Besides that it is essential for key aspects such as how much weight you used and how well your air consumption was.

I logged all my aquarium dives for the memories they provide. A dive log is not just for education its like a diary of sorts. Maybe 20 years from now your kids will ask about what it was like to dive in an aquarium and you can look back on the log and remember the shark you swam with you otherwise would have forgot.

Last but not least consider it a life record. If one day the lord calls you home your family can reflect on your happy times and how you loved to dive and what excited you and what scared you. A dive log is so much more then just a record book its a book of memories too!

You didn't answer the question. What makes one dive worthy of record and another not? You said "swimming pool", but that's a very general and loose term. A "swimming pool" could be a 3 foot kiddie pool, a 600,000 gallon olympic, or an 80 foot deep man-made hole. What is different about the different environments I asked previously?

You know I recall a swimming pool in I think Belgium but the pool is well over 100 feet deep with windows on the deepest portion so family and friends can see you dive. This to most would be considered a confined water dive but to me it would be considered a once in a life time dive DEFINATELY worth the logging :)

You didn't answer the question. What makes one dive worthy of record and another not? You said "swimming pool", but that's a very general and loose term. A "swimming pool" could be a 3 foot kiddie pool, a 600,000 gallon olympic, or an 80 foot deep man-made hole. What is different about the different environments I asked previously?

Perhaps you missed my earlier post:

Saspotato:
You can log whatever you want in your logbook, there's no rules about it. However, if you do certain courses agencies will sometimes require dives of a certain type. So if you need 20 dives for something and you log them all at 12' for 10mins you might not be considered as qualified as someone who has done longer dives at a deeper depth. If one is seriously having problems with not having enough 15min dives, then then they should not get the certification.

So, record whatever you want, just don't expect it to be counted by an agency.

An open water dive is where you are out far enough not to see the shore - especially if you were counting the dives toward a DM or instructor certificate.

Not sure I agree with that definition there. Because based on such I really doubt that anyone has ever done a truely open water dive. Far enough not to see the shore can be 20-30 miles offshore, at such a distance in the ocean you are likely to encounter depths of thousands of feet. Not exactly an ideal diving location.

All the dives, even on boat dives, have always been within the sight of some shore/mass of land. And in almost every case I would say that said land mass was within swimmable distance despite diving from a boat.

Not sure I agree with that definition there. Because based on such I really doubt that anyone has ever done a truely open water dive. Far enough not to see the shore can be 20-30 miles offshore, at such a distance in the ocean you are likely to encounter depths of thousands of feet. Not exactly an ideal diving location.

All the dives, even on boat dives, have always been within the sight of some shore/mass of land. And in almost every case I would say that said land mass was within swimmable distance despite diving from a boat.
I've done hundreds, but would agree it is not common. One a lot of people do is the dry tortugas area...or the USS California.. but there are lots around the world.

I would say that open water is any dive that swimming to shore is not a practical option.

Greetings airizzy and a log book is your personal record of dives and facts pertaining to them that are pertinent. If someone is going to edit my log book it will be me and me only.
I subscribe to the 20 / 20 rule, 20 feet for at least 20 minutes for me to log a dive.
The only exceptions were dive related incidents that I was personally involved in that required accurate information to be recorded to provide facts regarding actions.
However the log book is yours and you have to form your own criteria.
If you are needed to count dives for a certification then allow your instructor to look and count the dives that apply but leave his white out at home.

Aquarium dives are still dives that if you want to log then why not? Record valuable information and as many facts as possible. Details provoke memories and that is what makes a log book special.
Do not allow anyone to edit your log book. It is your personal information.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

I would say that open water is any dive that swimming to shore is not a practical option.

So shore dives don't count?

So shore dives don't count?

Of course they count. Done some very difficult shore dives... actually, would have to say that shore dives tend to be more work, have more issues and can take a lot of skill (in general).

But who cares what I think... I stopped logging dives somewhere around 2,000, and if it was not for downloading computers would not have a clue how many dives I have made.

So I know that I've done, in the last 17 months, 179 dives, with an average time of 49 minutes, with just over 100 hours of that time being below 60 ft... with over 11 hours over 100 ft....earlier than that, would have to go thru several different software programs....

I don't wear that computer on shallow dives, or in a pool.

Quoting from another thread. "In the USA training standards (Includes Canada), the definition of "Open Water" in SSI's standards is:

15. Definition Open Water: Open water is any body of water other than a swimming pool. Open water sites are to be realistic of local diving conditions."

So by that definition, aquariums could count. I dove the Atlanta aquarium. I would think diving in 6.3 million gallons of water is a lot different than a swimming pool. An olympic size pool only has 660 thousand gallons. As mentioned, you also have to be aware of the wildlife.

I think (my opinion only) when people hear "logbook", they somehow equate it to a pilot's logbook.
Comparing a pilot's logbook to that of a diver is the old apples and oranges thing.
If a pilot intentionally makes a false entry in a logbook, they are subject to a fine, imprisonment, or both. Additionally, the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations) not only dictate what you can or cannot log, they clearly define what constitutes a flight.
The simple answer to your question, which many before me have already answered is, no, there is no standard for the definition of a dive and the reality is, diver's logbooks are like computer profiles. You can fill in the blanks with whatever you want.
IMO, it all boils down to that thing that seems to be sorely lacking in today's society.....integrity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom