What camera to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henderson makes a waterproof pouch for phones that is about $30 retail I have used one for keys but I am not sure if I would trust it with an expensive phone.

If you want to take pictures I'd suggest the tg-4 like others have suggested.

I've taken a tg-3 (previous model) to 60 ft and it turned itself off, it didn't do any harm to the camera and once back above 50ft it was operational again. So for shallow dives you wont need a case, but the PT-056 case + tg-4 can be had at just a bit over your $500 budget I think.

And later on you can start accessorizing it; strobe, wide angle lens, etc.

The limitation on how good your pictures are will be technique if you are new to uw photography, it's a pretty capable rig for a beginner.

I've heard good things about the TG-4, especially macro capabilities. Apparently, some are disappointed in their ability to set white balance underwater, a very important capability TG-4 White Balance issues/question I'm spoiled by the one button custom white balance on my Canon G7X, unfortunately, considerably out of the price range here

Henderson makes a waterproof pouch for phones that is about $30 retail I have used one for keys but I am not sure if I would trust it with an expensive phone.
"bags" are great for surf and sand, but do not work "underwater".

since they are flexible, the water pressure causes the bag to crush around what ever is inside it. this means the water will press all buttons (at the same time). so you can not operate the device once deep. potentially (eventually) the water pressure will crush anything in the bag that is crushable.

put a marshmallow in a baggy and examine it at 60 feet.

If you want to take pictures I'd suggest the tg-4 like others have suggested.

I've taken a tg-3 (previous model) to 60 ft and it turned itself off, it didn't do any harm to the camera and once back above 50ft it was operational again. So for shallow dives you wont need a case, but the PT-056 case + tg-4 can be had at just a bit over your $500 budget I think.

And later on you can start accessorizing it; strobe, wide angle lens, etc.

The limitation on how good your pictures are will be technique if you are new to uw photography, it's a pretty capable rig for a beginner.
agreed. I view the tg-4 as a "gateway drug" to a real underwater photography setup.

start with just the camera. it is an inexpensive way to try photography on a bunch of shallow dives. maybe you will like the experience, maybe you will not. if you like it, be prepared to spend lots of time and money feeding your habit.

Short answer, yes.

When I first started diving a lot (ahem, last year), I bought the underwater case for my iPhone because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I may end up not needing. It worked great. I think my total cost was $55, since I bought the "damaged" version on Amazon. The "damage" was to the box, which was clearly described on the ad.

Picture and video quality were really good, considering my skill level, the camera I was using, and that I just wanted some pictures. I bought the red filter, too. One issue - make sure you upload your photos at night and then delete them from your phone to free up storage. If you don't, you will think you are recording or taking pictures, but nothing will be saved. I learned this the hard way, after I thought I captured great video of a turtle the size of a VW Bug in Saba.

I also dove with a borrowed GoPro 3 Black earlier this month. I was very impressed with the video quality. I got a great frame of a hawksbill turtle from the video, too. I think the reason that frame turned out so well is the turtle was less than 18" from the camera. The stills were okay, but I knew this would be the case in advance.

For her birthday my wife got a Nikon Coolpix WP130 which is rated to 100 feet. She loves it and it took good pics at 35 feet without much effort. You have complete control of all the camera functions. Close up, and video capable. With the rest of the budget look at a light. She uses my old Sealife video light. I agree this is probably a "gateway" article

Someone can advise better than me about this, but is there even a way to connect a strobe to a GoPro? My friends use video lights which is undoubtedly part of the problem. Stills need strobes, not video lights.

No, there is no way to fire a strobe using a GoPro.

And that is its big weakness. If you're going to be at 100'+ with 20' visibility, there is probably not going to be enough light to get good stills with it. And the video won't be that great, either.

OTOH, if you're going to be at 50' with 50 - 100 feet of visibility, then a GoPro definitely *could* have enough ambient light get really nice stills and nice video. With an inexpensive video light (e.g. an Archon D11V), you could probably even get some very nice closeups.

I have seen the stills ScubaJill pulled out of the GoPro Hero 3 Black. And some images that were framegrabs from video from the same camera. After some editing in LightRoom, she got some really nice pictures. I was very surprised how nice they came out, knowing the camera they came from.

ps. if my budget were $500, I would look really hard at whether I could extend it to $700. If you shop around, you can get a new Sony DSC-RX100 Mk II and a Meikon housing for it for around that. The RX100 is a VERY capable camera for the price. One of my buddies got some GREAT photos with his at the Wreck Shark Shootout in NC in June.

Back
Top Bottom