What caliber is my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Whilst at Wally World trying to buy (operative word being trying) replacement bulbs for my flashlight; I noticed some nice brass brushes for gun cleaning. Not being a gun owner, I was wondering what caliber (if that is the correct term) the air barrel is on my SP Balanced Adjustable and Air II happen to be.

Thanks,

couv

Couv I would not recommend using a brass gun brush on your regulators. Most are designed to scrub and would scratch the plating and plastics.

Whilst at Wally World trying to buy (operative word being trying) replacement bulbs for my flashlight; I noticed some nice brass brushes for gun cleaning. Not being a gun owner, I was wondering what caliber (if that is the correct term) the air barrel is on my SP Balanced Adjustable and Air II happen to be.

Thanks,

couv

Looks to be about .40 cal. on the 109. But I'd be afraid of doing more harm than good with a brass brush. Do you have deposits interfering with poppet function or are you just trying to make things pretty?

No...all is well...just thought a brass brush would do a good job at cleaning. The brushes I saw were inclosed in the package so I do not know how stiff they are, but if you think it would scratch the chrome, then I will forgo using it.

thanks,

c

Most gun cleaning brushes are bronze (an alloy of copper and tin) and should not scratch chrome - it may however leave some of the color of the bronze or brass embedded in it though.

The problem with using a brass or bronze brush is that they are designed to be pushed all the way through the bore and when you reverse them in the middle of the bore, things can potentially get damaged. withe the 109/G250 air barrel it constricts a bit where the barrel is threaded for the orifice and it is maybe 35 caliber as opposed to 45 caliber.

Plastic bristle gun cleaning brushes are safe - but they are also very ineffective on guns and I suspect are equally so on regulator air barrels.

I was never a big fan of Scubapro regs. My loss, I guess.
I do have a tool that can make your fitting a guaranteed .45 caliber opening. It's made by Colt Dive Gear Orifice Adjustment Device Industries.
Just don't plan on taking your reg in your carry-on luggage for a while.

The metal gun cleaning brushes are very stiff, wouldn't reccommend using them, but there should be some made of a soft white cloth in the same gun cleaning section. But like was said above they're meant to be used after the stiffer metal brushes so it may not clean as well.

I was never a big fan of Scubapro regs. My loss, I guess.
I do have a tool that can make your fitting a guaranteed .45 caliber opening. It's made by Colt Dive Gear Orifice Adjustment Device Industries.
Just don't plan on taking your reg in your carry-on luggage for a while.

While I think your method will work fine, if a bit noisy, I wonder if it would let copper traces on the regulator? :D

:confused:

:D

Back
Top Bottom