What c-card do you show on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't ever find myself stuck with someone that wants to watch over me like a hawk. That would actually be nice. I get the person that either has a) all rental gear from the resort we're at including mask, snorkel and fins and has just finished their OW dives the day before or b) the person that has all brand new gear from the LDS at home and has just finished their OW dives the day before in the quarry and has never seen the salt water. Neither of these people will know how to a) assemble their gear b) check their gear c) safely move about on the boat and so on... and don't get me started on what happens when they get in the water! It never varies. I show the instructor card (emeritus status btw - I'm long retired!) and I get buddied up with one of these divers. I mean I'm a good citizen and all and I like to help people, but sometimes it's nice just to go diving and not constantly watch over someone "like a hawk". I'm sure some people will take what I'm saying the wrong way, but jeesh...if I wanted to work I wouldn't pay to go!

heck... how many shops actually ask you for your card anymore?

I'd say less than 25% of the time.

I did 5 days if diving in the Panhandle in May and only got asked for my card once. Now some of those were shore dives, but I went in for air fills before/after each time.

I'd say on boat trips I get asked for 'the card' less than half the time.

now that's with bringing all my own gear & tanks. many years ago before I had gear/tanks and had to rent, I got asked much more.

I first whip out my 1975 PADA OW card just to get the reaction of the DM. After he says "what the heck is this", or "I've never seen a card like this before," I then present him with my AOW which is more recent. I just love the reaction from these 20 yr. old DM's.

I show my tech wreck card...
Most of the time I get: "is that like padi rescue?"
to which I say yes...kinda...

The "tech" in the cert title seems to give the impression (or maybe its just me) that I´m antisocial and so DMs usually try to protect ow-divers from my "influence"...

Rather than have a padi card available, for fun I'll show an IANTD Rebreather card if asked. That usually gets the same reaction as the previous 'tech wreck card' post.
Some padi folks are completely befuddled by that. I'm a IANTD and padi DM and like to enjoy my dives as most possible when I pay for them, especially if I've travelled to get there.

If I dive with my co-crew on days off, inevitably I get some task or 'assignment', usually part way thru a dive when the regular DM/DI has to take care of someone. That's something I can live with as we are more of a dive 'family' than co-workers, and I'm probably diving for free anyway.

Slightly off topic, but I know a PADI and IANTD Instructor who books an AOW course when he goes on holidays. He takes the course and does the 5 dives. When the Instructor asks him to sign the PIC he says no and shows his true certs! Gets him cheaper diving, but I don't agree with it....

Barracuda2:
I first whip out my 1975 PADA OW card just to get the reaction of the DM. After he says "what the heck is this", or "I've never seen a card like this before," I then present him with my AOW which is more recent. I just love the reaction from these 20 yr. old DM's.

What the heck is a "PADA" OW card?? Sorry, I ment "PADI":banghead:

nrh:
I've given up worrying about liability issues one way or another. These days anybody can sue anybody for anything. I've heard urban legends (dunno if they're true or not) about instructors being named in lawsuits just because they were on the boat! They weren't diving with, around or near the person that got hurt and yet they still got named in the suit. It sounds bogus, but then again so did that, "My hot coffee burned me so I'm suing McDonalds for making hot coffee hot" law suit too! I guess that's what insurance is for, right?

Please do not talk about the McDonald's case without reading the judicial opinion. Please. I've had to go over this SO many times in my law classes. It was a good, and valid case, please don't make generalizations because it seems silly on the surface.
Sorry, but this really gets my hackles up.

ItsBruce:
Sorry if I'm being a spoil sport...but, if you show your lowest card just to avoid liability issues and get brought into a lawsuit anyway and someone recalls that you showed only your lowest card, you are in for some serious browbeating unless you have some other good reason for not hving shown a higher card. ... "Isn't it true that you knew that showing a DM card might require you to exercise more care and skill that you felt like exercising?" Or "Isn't it true that you showed a lower card just to avoid being in this situation?"

I'm about to PM NetDoc to ask the status of my article.

BCNU
Bruce

I will have to double-check my textbooks (so I should just shut up now... ), but I do specifically recall that there is liability. Forget that 'people will sue for anything' - courts throw out cases without merit with prejudice (which is a specific legal indication).
Again, I'll have to look for the exact statute, but it goes something like this: if you are trained in lifesaving techniques and fail to indicate such during a life-threatening situation, you are liable for negligence.
This is one of the reasons I have yet to do CPR or diver stress & rescue - because you must act in any emergency, and I'm not ready to make that my business just yet.
Sorry if that paints me a dick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom