What Burglars Won't Tell You . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard that burglars like the one-two punch. First they clean you out of your old stuff, then come back in 30 days or so to collect the new stuff you bought with the insurance money.

A friend in insurance says that's true. At least, in an area where there are pros.

If you break into my house you will not get the luxury of a verbal warning. The only "warning" you'll get is if I some how miss on the first shot! :homealone:

girl I dated in HS, her dad had 3 bikes stolen in about a month from their garage. Interestingly, all bought from the same shop in town. Didn't take long for the cops to figure that one out...seeing as how in a 3 month period about 20 high end bikes that were bought in that shop were stolen and in most cases they were double and triple dips.

While you are at it - watch for people photographing your checks or credit cards with their cell phones . . . IJS

All good advice and my addition is as an alarm systems tech that grew up in NY and has friends who are police officers.
First off the police can't be in all places at all times and chances are they will be no where near when you need them most. For this reason be a Boy Scout and "Be Prepared" this means equipment and training to be able to protect yourself and your loved ones. At the same time make them as prepared as possible considering their abilities. Being properly armed, trained and aware of your surroundings can help protect you at all times not just when you are home but anywhere you go.
In your home multiple levels of deterrence and protection is most effective. Lights, sounds, dogs, warnings of alarm systems, safes and and finally weapons to protect yourself.
A last note as a alarm tech installer... A basic system installed in a standard fashion will offer some protection but to maximize these systems avoid the "standard installation" and the system should have a wireless monitoring system in case the communications wiring to the home are cut.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

found a place to hide my handguns!:eyebrow:

Home Invasion, West Virginia Style

When my father died in 2000, my mother asked me, my wife and our three children to move in with her and my handicapped sister. She did not want to live alone and the big, old home place had plenty of room for all of us. The arrangement has been beneficial, convenient and economical for all concerned.

Three years ago, in February of 2007, there was a rash of home invasions that targeted elderly people (mostly women). There were apparently three criminals involved and they had hit several homes in the Charleston area.

One night at about 3:30 in the morning, there was a sudden, loud knock on our front door. My 74 year-old mother had fallen asleep on the living room sofa while watching a movie on TV and the rest of us were in our respective bedrooms. The knock was loud enough to wake us all up. I grabbed my GI 1911 A-1 and went to see what was going on. My mother was at the front door, with her Smith and Wesson .38 special held at her side. My wife grabbed her .38 and joined me in the kitchen where we could see what was happening. My nineteen-year-old daughter emerged from her room and when she saw what was coming down, she grabbed a phone and returned to her room to grab her Buffalo Scout .22 revolver and dial 911. At about that time, my oldest son appeared at the top of the stairs with his ChiCom SKS and my nine-year-old son came out of his room with his double-barrel 20 gauge.

We have security cameras located all around the house and garage and on a couple of the monitors we could see one man standing on the front porch and two more hiding around the corner of the house.

Through the door, my mother asked the guy on the porch what he wanted. He said his car had broken down about a block away and needed to use our phone. Mom told him to give her the number and she would call it for him. He wouldn't give her a number and insisted that he needed to use the phone. His story changed several times and he appeared to be getting desperate and his voice started to take on a threatening tone. I nodded to my wife and sons and my wife took up a position in the hallway and my youngest son crouched behind the fridge where he had a good view of the front door.

My oldest boy and I slipped out the back door. We crept around the house to where the two accomplices were hiding. One was male and the other was female. I think the male crapped himself when the cold steel of my boy's rifle barrel touched the back of his neck. The female turned around to find my .45 pointed right between her eyes.

We marched them around to the front of the house just as four police cruisers turned onto the block and pulled up in front of the house. The front door opened up and the guy on the porch was suddenly staring down the barrels of two .38s and a double 20.

The cops cuffed and stuffed the trio and took statements from all of us. As they were leaving, one cop slapped another on the back and laughed. "Idiots picked the wrong damned house tonight!"

What's really strange about the whole thing is that my neighbor is a city cop and his cruiser was parked right in front of our house! He slept through it all and when I spoke to him the next day, he asked me why we didn't just take the morons out and be done with it. I told him I'd considered it but didn't want to have to clean up the mess.

There hasn't been so much as a hubcap stolen in the neighborhood since.

Well said Paladin!
You'd be a cool diver to dive with man! :)
Your family is one of the most armed up I've heard of! Mind you in the UK gun ownership is illegal for self-defence... :(

Ask any banged-up criminal behind bars what he fears most (besides being caught) and its an armed house-owner...

Paladin954, Good job! Sounds like what would happen here in Hope Valley,RI in a similar situation. Don't ya just love country living! Is that why John Denver called WV almost heaven?:wink:

Diving lore, Shame about your country and firearms, especially when considering the UK is where the idea of the right of the people to keep and bear arms originated.

AD,
The three morons that targeted us were from NY. Virtually all crime of that type committed here in this state is perpetrated by out-of-state criminals who aren't familiar with our culture and laws. Homegrown miscreants are more enlightened and content themselves with knocking over convenience stores and the like because they know a few things the out-of-staters don't:

This is a Shall Issue state. If you are 21 or older, have a clean background and have taken a firearms safety course and apply for a concealed carry permit, then it must be issued to you. The demand is so high and so many people are getting permits every year, it takes about eight weeks after the application is submitted to receive a permit. The permit is good for 5 years. I just had mine renewed. I feel it would be safe to say that at least 3 out of every five people you encounter on a WV street is packing a concealed weapon. Our Attorney General is actively pursuing reciprocity agreements with other states so that our permits are valid outside WV's borders. So far, 25 other states now recognize our CCWs.

A permit is not required for a state resident over the age of 21 to carry a handgun unconcealed. Just strap it on and go. 18 for long guns. Hunters younger than 15 must be accompanied by an adult.

There is no waiting period for the purchase of a firearm. Just go into the gun shop, pick out the one(s) you want, fill out the ATF form, plunk down the cash and take it home. There is a quick FBI background check but it only takes five minutes. The FBI office up in Morgantown takes care of it.

West Virginia is a state full of sportsmen and hunters of all ages, both male and female. We grow up around guns and know how to use them.

Our police, governor and State Legislature strongly support private firearm ownership and the right of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves. It is plainly spelled out in our State Constitution. This is a Castle Doctrine state. The law clearly states that, if threatened with injury or death, WV citizens have the legal right to use deadly force in self defense without fear of prosecution or civil action. Pull a weapon on a hillbilly or try to break into his house and you're paid for. Pure and simple.

Next to Vermont, West Virginia has the lowest crime rate in the country. Now I wonder why?

Back
Top Bottom