What Burglars Won't Tell You . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I investigated burgaries for 7 years. All the advice given is very good. I hate a damn burglar worse than anything and loved locking them up. I have been hit a couple of times myself but in both instances we arrested them and I got my stuff back or had restitution made.

If a burglar wants in your house bad enough they will get in. It sounds bad but you need to make your house a harder target than your neighbors so they hit them and not you.

Have a means to protect yourself and your family if someone gets in when you are at home.
Get a gun and learn how and when to use it.

With very little googling, you can see where I live, get my address and phone number, find out where I work, see pictures of the inside and outside of my house, pictures of my basement where I store all my gear, upstairs where i have a big plasma TV, etc... And then you can read where I post when I'm going on vacation, how long I'll be gone and when I'll be back (if you follow me on twitter, you'll know the moment I leave my house for the airport).

I use the same password for all my bank and credit card accounts and all my internet accounts. I keep cash unlocked in my house. I don't have an alarm system. I don't have a gun. And now I've even made this post telling everyone how stupid I am.

My only saving grace is that criminals are just a little bit stupider than I am.

I'm like the guy who fell off the 20 story building, and as he was passing the 10th floor, yelled, "So far so gooooood....."

Some further thoughts:

Do not put the remote for your garage door opener in plain sight in your car. It is easy enough to get into your car and either (1) take the remote, (2) copy the dip switches on the remote, (3) copy the signal from the remote, or (4) swap the remote for a look-alike. It is also easy enough to get your address by looking at the registration in the glove box. Since you are not home, a burglar can simply go to your home, get into your garage using the remote or its code, close the garage door so he can work on the connecting door in peace and quiet and then burglarize your home. (There is a similar problem with coding the remote code into your car's onboard system.)

Tech note: If you have a "rolling code" type remote / garage door opener, don't worry about the signal or dipswitch copy. (Worry about it getting stolen, yes.)

With very little googling, you can see where I live, get my address and phone number, find out where I work, see pictures of the inside and outside of my house, pictures of my basement where I store all my gear, upstairs where i have a big plasma TV, etc... And then you can read where I post when I'm going on vacation, how long I'll be gone and when I'll be back.

I use the same password for all my bank and credit card accounts and all my internet accounts. I keep cash unlocked in my house. I don't have an alarm system. I don't have a gun. And now I've even made this post telling everyone how stupid I am.

My only saving grace is that criminals are just a little bit stupider than I am.

I'm like the guy who fell off the 20 story building, and as he was passing the 10th floor, yelled, "So far so gooooood....."

It's one thing to shoot yourself in the foot. It's quite another to take careful aim.

. . . It sounds like you're reloading . . .

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

For personal safety,

Keep your car remote with you in the bedroom. If someone breaks in press the alarm button - another measure to spook the intruder and get neighbor's attention (after awhile they will most likely come to investigate, especially if it's in the middle of the night). (and do the other safety precautions - lock your bedrrom door, get out, etc.)

So Rick, which story (floor) have YOU passed? :blinking:

:rofl3:

Four dogs has worked for me. Not even an attempt since 1983. Of course Smith & Wesson and Sam Colt are there to back up and protect the dogs at least when Mrs.AfterDark or I are home.
If we're not there to protect the dogs well , that's unfortunate for the burglar.

I ...Have a means to protect yourself and your family if someone gets in when you are at home.

And, figure out your best position from which to protect yourself and your family. E.g. I'm pretty sure that I could keep anyone without armor and a lot of firepower from coming up the stairs to our bedrooms.

For personal safety,

Keep your car remote with you in the bedroom. If someone breaks in press the alarm button - another measure to spook the intruder and get neighbor's attention (after awhile they will most likely come to investigate, especially if it's in the middle of the night). (and do the other safety precautions - lock your bedrrom door, get out, etc.)

Good thought, but I'm sort of hoping the gunfire will alert the neighbors.

Our plan has always been to hold up in the bedroom with firearms and a speaker phone connected to 911. Our 911 call will be replete with warnings to the invaders of "go away, if you come through the door I / we will shoot you, 911 is on the phone the police are on the way". If we need to shoot we'll be covered at least to point we gave warning. This would be after the invaders killed our 4 dogs or why would we be hold in our bedroom? Their intention will be clear by the time the event is ended with a bang.

I've heard that burglars like the one-two punch. First they clean you out of your old stuff, then come back in 30 days or so to collect the new stuff you bought with the insurance money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom