What brand of wetsuit is the best value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that the stretchier neoprenes will not insulate as well. My old Pinnacle is the non-stretchy merino-lined 7/5 fullsuit. It's such a good suit that even though I recently bought a new Scubapro 7/5 suit, I am on the hunt for the exact same Pinnacle wetsuit I bought 5 years ago, even though it's hard to find nowadays.

Fit is everything in a wetsuit. Even if the suit fits your budget, if it doesn't fit your body, it's worthless. I like Bare wetsuits, but unfortunately they don't fit me very well. Thankfully, their drysuits fit me perfectly :wink:

Another vote for a 7/5 Pinnacle Merino or Elastiprene. Their "semi-dry" marketing hype has quite a lot of truth to it... very little water will in or out of your suit once its saturated. I dove that suit for two seasons in New England (45-60F), and it always kept me toasty and comfortable. Its worth investing in a good suit... being cold sucks (which is why I got a dry suit =D).

Oh, and get mitts, not gloves, if your hands get cold easily. And make sure you find a comfortable hood!

I agree with the comments that the best value is the one that fits the best. Any suit that has gaps means that the suit will flush with the diver's movement allowing colder water to replace warmer water you expended body heat to warm up. I have tried on several suits to find one that fits just right and been very disappointed when I am using one that does not fit right.

Recently, I have tried Oneill, Bare, Xcel, and have owned a TILOS. All worked well, but suits of the same size from different manufacturers do not fit me the same. Best suit I ever owned was from Don Duckett's wetsuit factory in Santa Barbara but they went out of business. The only absolutely dissapointment I ever had was with BodyGlove diving wetsuits many years ago which is really too bad because at the time I had a quite favorable opinion of their surfing wetsuits. The quality and workmanship of the dive suit was quite inferior. As a result, today, I won't touch a Bodyglove.

Bottom line: Go for the fit.

Thanks for all the great advise. I tried the the Henderson but seems I have a odd shape bod.. Short inseam. I am between a Xl-XXl the XXL being to long.. Going with say a 5mm and a hooded vest will that be a good solution to a bad fit? Seems nothing is fitting perfect.

Some manufacturers have more sizes, with 'short' sizes available that have shorter inseams. I believe Bare is one of them, and I know Pinnacle has them as well. Shop around and see what else you can find. As mentioned before, make sure it fits. There's also tailoring, if the body fits and the legs are too long.

I am one of those in between shaped guys. I have been diving a BARE Velocity 5/4 (size XLS- S=Short) for about two seasons now. It is still the most comfortable suit I have ever owned. I am an instructor, so mobility is paramount to me. I rarely even wear a drysuit anymore. The only thing is in the colder months or deeper dives here in Pittsburgh, I like to add a 3mm Thermalskin Vest underneath.

I like the 5mil because it allows me to be more flexible. I even take it with me to Florida in the winter. They have 7s and they have full stretch. They even make semidry suits with attached hoods. You could prob go with either an XL-Tall or a XXL-Short. Try to find one you can try on.

I am looking at getting either a 7mm or 5mm for diving off the coast of NC (50-60 degree temps). Not sure what suits to look at. I have been reading reviews on the different brands they all say the same thing. I guess I am looking for something comfy and durable. I have been looking at pinnacle and Henderson. Be honest not sure whats a good suit and what to spend on a wetsuit. Anyone have any advice?

if you plan to dive seriously bite the bullet and get a dry suit then you will be able to dive all year around at any circumstances. It's a huge difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom