What brand of wetsuit is the best value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divetigger

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at getting either a 7mm or 5mm for diving off the coast of NC (50-60 degree temps). Not sure what suits to look at. I have been reading reviews on the different brands they all say the same thing. I guess I am looking for something comfy and durable. I have been looking at pinnacle and Henderson. Be honest not sure whats a good suit and what to spend on a wetsuit. Anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
Pinnacle suits are very well made. I've had one for 5 years, and while it's very compressed now, it's in fine shape. One of my buddies has gone through 4 Hendersons in the same time. YMMV

a 200 dollar pinnacle vs a 400 dollar one is there that much difference in quality?

I hate to give a generic answer, but the best value is the one that fits.

When I bought my last 7mm, it was between a Bare and a Pinnacle. The Bare was cheaper, but the Pinnacle fit much better. I shelled out the extra clams and bought the Pinnacle.

If you can't afford the extra money now rent for a bit longer, save your pennies, and buy the more expensive suit if it fits best. You'll be happier and probably save money by not having to upgrade 6 months to a year later. If the cheaper one fits best, then you're in luck!!!

Hit your dive shop(s) and try stuff on - see what fits best.
i tried a small wardrobe rack of brands and models and ended up with a Bare Arctic 7mm + vest . the cost was of secondary importance for me after the fit. i'm very happy with it.
cheers,
marc

Cost appears to have less to do with quality, and more to do with Name recognition. I have a Tilos SuperStreach 3mm suit. It was inexpensive, and has held up well over the years. My buddy has a 7mm Henderson SuperStrech. He paid as much as I did for my used Bare NexGen Drysuit, and the thing was fraying after 15 dives.

Fit is more important than anything, but many suits have a very similar fit. If you are somewhat average you likley will fit most suits. If not, you may choose to get a custom suit. For 50~60F water I'd go dry, or a 7mm. The problem with WetSuits is not so much how well the insulate in the water, but rather how cold you get during SI's. Diving in 62F water, a 7mm if just fine until you get out, and are sitting in 30f surface temps. At that point you either need to get out of the suit, or you get cold.

The comments above are all correct and buy the one that fits you the best. My suggestion is shop around at local shops and try on different brands. Don't get in the mind set that one is better than the other. I have 3 now Oneil, Akona, and Henderson. The fit of the Akona is not nearly as comfortable as my Henderson Hyper Stretch and my Oneil is only a 2mm. I have also tried Bare, Mares, and Pinnacle suits. Not all suits fit the same and the cut of each will vary from one mfgr to the next. The important thing is it fits you well regardless of who made it. I do agree however there is a differance between a 400.00 and 200.00 suit however don't let that be the deciding factor. 1st is fit and function which is as everyone has said before is the most important.

As for the now older style Henderson Hyper Stretch suits in my mind they are the best fitting however as someone has pointed out they will fray if you fail to understand the material. They are not velcro friendly and allowing them to come in contact with the coarse side of velcro will cause the material to show signs of wear and tear. However Henderson realized this and has taken steps to correct the issue and for those who want the fit and comfort of the Hyperstretch they now have the H2 model which is now almost bullet proof when it comes to snags and velcro.

Had I waited for the new H2 I would be in one now but I was unable as I needed a new suit right away and could not wait for the new ones to arrive. If I had it all to do over again I would have spent more time trying on suits instead of buying the first one that I was able to get into and move around in.

Keep shopping and you'll find a suit that fits you. You just have to try out several differant brands before you know which one fits the best.

Only thoughts are:

- Whatever you get, make sure it is 100% stretch. Don't economise on that part.

- Personally, I find Pinnacle's don't wear as well as other brands, but maybe that is just me.

- Again personally, I have become a big fan of O'Neill's. Not known as diving wetsuits, but I think they make the best (ie. most comfortable) product on the market. Downside is they don't do anything thicker than 6mm.

But it really is a personal choice.

If you are brave enough to buy online, it is pretty hard to beat the prices at Wetsuit Warehouse.

I own a Henderson 7/5 hyperstretch (?). A few months ago, i rented a 3mil Pinnacle Merino wool. The Pinnacle beats the Henderson IMO.

I'll second what someone else said about diving wet in 50 to 60 degeree H2O when air temp is low. Pack some warm clothes and a hat :)

I bought mine last year from a very nice dealer. They let me try on both Pinnacle (Elastiprene & Arctic) and Bare (Velocity & Arctic). I went with Bare Arctic, cause fit me the best without stretching out a lot and gave me an acceptable moving range. My philosophy was stretch out = less thickness. I use this Bare Arctic for around 30 dives and love it after the first couple dives (we both kind of have to adjust and meet at the middle :catfight:).
They both brands are well built wetsuit by comparing at the same price range product for what I can see.
Many people likes the stretchy and comfy. If you are, here it is my score on these four wetsuits from my try on;
Pinnacle Elastiprene (*****),
Bare Velocity (****),
Bare Arctic (***),
Pinnacle Arctic (**).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom