What boat do I need !?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rollie14

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My best friend and I have recently been discussing taking some time away from the daily grind and pursuing a dream we've both had since we were kids.
We want to move to Florida and get into treasure diving, we're currently 20 and 22 and it seems that now is the best time to get into diving while we're still young. We both got our open water certificates last week and starting advanced open water next week followed by wreck diver, salvage diver, first aid diver and eventually somewhere down the road we'll get our master diver. So basically I'm asing for some help in figuring out what we'll need to become a successful crew (already have a local friend down there whos been a diver for 9 years. We're trying to figure out how much Money we need to get started.
Thanks!
Dillon.

The kind of boat that's anchored over sunken treasure.

And after you get a few hundred dives in and enough investors to pay your bills for a long time.

you have never owned a boat..... oh boy..... three words:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great "dream". IOT operate anything approaching a real salvage operation you will need pretty deep pockets.. Make a list of everything that you think you will need to operate at sea for 20 days, doing lots of metal detection and diving. Then post your list and ask for people to fill in the blanks...

Cheers,
Roger

Treasure is found doing research in dusty old archives, not riding around on the ocean.

This reply comes a little late, but just in case you're still looking for information I'll throw some out. I live in Sebastian where a lot of treasure diving activity takes place. It's probably one of the few places in the US where you can see digger boats (with mailboxes) for sale alongside the highway or in Craigslist (like this one 35' Twin Diesel Treasure Boat )
Two websites, TreasureNet and http://treasureworks.com can get you started on your research. As far as I know, these two sites are the best sources of information available on the Internet. These folks Home - 1715 Fleet - Queens Jewels, LLC now control the leases along the Treasure Coast and sub-contract with salvors on a percentage basis. The Fisher crew is still working out of Key West Mel Fisher's Treasures - Historic Shipwreck Recovery on the Atocha and the Margarita, as well as a couple of other projects.
A treasure boat can range from a 12 foot dinghy to a 250 foot vessel like Odyssey Marine. Odyssey Marine Exploration - Deep-Ocean Shipwreck Experts With treasure hunting it is just like real estate....It's location, location, location.
I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Another late post...

I would say a sailboat big enough to live on. Reason why? Well you are going to be broke so you will have a place to live. And sailing doesn't take gas or diesel, since you are going to be broke. But hey you got a place to sleep!

FWIW I dream of owning a nice sailboat and sailing around parts of the world.

A girl friend that looks like Jessica Alba would be a good start.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom