What benefits do instructors get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The insurance perk is great if you only do work for the store as it often has limitations. It generally only covers the instructor when working for the store. It does not offer coverage when not working for the store. I teach friend and family outside of the store and would need individual insurance to be covered if the store is not involved. I am in Canada and believe it is the same in the US. If I am incorrect someone will let us know.

Willis insurance is 570 I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong with that number. An instructor working on their own would have to train two OW students to make that amount.

Willis insurance is 570 I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong with that number. An instructor working on their own would have to train two OW students to make that amount.

That would be their only expense? What are you assuming as a course fee - gross and net?

Reactions: RJP
Let's not forget the non-monetary compensation, like the admiring glances of students who hold instructors in awe.

You are correct. Insurance is not expensive. I carry my own personal liability policy and think that all active professionals should. I was pointing out that having insurance through the dive stores group policy is not always the best option. It does come at a lower rate than individual policies but it does not have the same coverage that an individual policy would have. I also run a dive business that has all leadership levels insured through a group policy. I pay for all of them. The reality is that it is insurance to cover and protect my business. I still recommend that they all get there own individual policy as well to protect them for when the group policy will not. There are always instances that they do not have coverage with the group policy.

That would be their only expense? What are you assuming as a course fee - gross and net?

I never said it would be their only expense.

The typical scuba instructor is someone who spent $5,000 on training to learn how to pack $10,000 worth of gear into a car worth $1,000 in order to drive 3 hours so they can spend the weekend earning $200.

$10,000 in gear? For a recreational instructor that's a lot of money....for a tech instructor, it doesn't scratch the surface.

Reactions: RJP
the perks are numerous. In addition to the corporate jet, the company car and the sub-minimum wage:
generally get to dive for free (both with and without students).
several boat ops will always find a spot for me.
free fills (air and nitrox)
gear at cost.....or better
discounted dive travel
get to hang out in dive shop and talk scuba all day
the enjoyment and satisfaction to seeing people develop a love for diving

Immediate reservations at all the best IHOPs

Immediate reservations at all the best IHOPs

Just remember though that even the best IHOPS are cockroach infested cesspools....albeit they still have better sanitation practices than Waffle House.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom