What back-up tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What type of backup mask were you considering? I was thinking about getting one just like my primary (low volume, frameless) since I think it would fit easily in my pocket.

You must carry an extra mask clipped of in your left pocket.

You and your buddy must train in maintaining depth position while retrieving, donning and clearing the extra mask.

You and your buddy must practice making ascents where only one diver has a mask... the other controlling ascent, stops and gas switch for both.

btw... excellent buoyancy control is a stable deco platform.

O-ring once bubbled...

I don't know that I asked a question. Just stated that you can do backup tables with Decoplanner.

You bring up good points anyway...let's talk about them.

1. I do not know if I have a PFO as I have not been tested. Am I planning to get tested? No. I say keep it conservative...dive like you have a PFO. I wouldn't quit diving if I tested positive anyway...

2. I don't carry a backup mask since I dive with a like-minded buddy and do not do any diving where that is a requirement yet in my diving career (significant overhead).

3. Does a liftbag and spool count as a stable deco platform?

4. Gas management calculations are a regular part of every serious dive. Do I do them on every dive? No...

Sorry o-ring it was meant to be directed at the thread starter.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
You must carry an extra mask clipped of in your left pocket.

You and your buddy must train in maintaining depth position while retrieving, donning and clearing the extra mask.

You and your buddy must practice making ascents where only one diver has a mask... the other controlling ascent, stops and gas switch for both.

btw... excellent buoyancy control is a stable deco platform.

You hit my points head on..
My main being a back up mask.. if you cant read your guages you cant do the stops.. a buddy can help you but a long deco could be quite unconfortable without a mask.. My mask is in my Right drysuit thigh pocket.. its out of the way and easy to get to...

Good buoyancy control is a great deco platform! I agee.. I was think more of a combo deo/marker platform like a lift bag.. I wouldn't want to surface after an hour of a free hang.. I know the boat wount be there without some type of indication.. ANd without a marker I'd be up a creek since I don't leave any bubbles anymore.. My new motto is Leave nothing at All....

I am a firm believer all DECO dives should be planned, NDL diving is anotehr story but planning doesn't hurt..

A PFO wouldn't stop me either I'd just be more cautious.. I already knew the answer to that question myself before I got into diving.. I was extensively tested when I was yonger because I had chest pains.... Turned out to be too much stress...

I was going to ask if you had been tested and what was involved. As I understand it they do a doppler or echocardiogram to check...

How'd you get rid of the stress? My days are full of it...so far the only thing I have figured out is to dive more :D

padiscubapro once bubbled...
You hit my points head on..
I just zipped by this thread and saw your post so had to pop in and reiterate the spare mask bit.

Even if you guys aren't doing deco dives yet... you are planning on it... that is why you are asking the questions you are asking and buying things like doubles and deco bottles... right?

So you need to start practicing right now the things that will keep you alive when the dive goes sideways.

O-ring... get a spare low volume mask and a double ended bolt snap and clip it off in your left pocket. (Padi, we keep the backup stuff in the left pocket... it would get in the way of the stuff we use every dive like liftbag/dive marker and spool... which is kept in the right pocket. Not saying anything's wrong with your using the right pocket... it is just a convention with DIR.)

And you guys need to spend some time practicing with the spare mask in mid-water... not on the bottom.

Good point to bring up Padi :thumb:

Re: PFO.

I went in last year for a physical with a well know (in the PNW) diving doc that included an ECG. I also asked about one of the various tests for a PFO.

He ask if the outcome would really change the way I plan to dive. I said... well it might. He had me watch the proceedure on a video and explained it to me.

He doesn't recommend the test without symptomatic indication that it might be necessary.

After weighing the cost/risk/benefit I decided not to have the test done.

Looking back at the way we used to dive before we knew better I am fairly certain that if I did in fact have a PFO it would have manifest itself long ago.

padiscubapro once bubbled...
Do you have a PFO??
We do not yet know for certain that the presence of a PFO does lead to an increased risk of DCI.

The theory is very neat - a right to left shunt with bubbles getting into the arterial tree, but as yet we do not know for certain.

DAN Europe hopes to undertake the mass screening of up to 4,000 recreational divers with follow-up for five years to ascertain if this risk is genuine.

Since the incidence of PFO is as high as 30%, and the incidence of DCI so low, it seems the risks may have been greatly exaggerated.

As a prospective DAN investigator, I will be very interested in the results. In the meantime I would suggest that if a diver knows he has a PFO and continues to dive it is essential for him to avoid Valsalva-like manouvres during the ascent and on the surface following any dive.:doctor:

...after I read the report that Irvine and Doolette put out in DeepTech (Jan 96). If a PFO was that much of an additional DCI risk, you would expect to see a lot higher incidence rates of DCI.

Dear Readers:

PFO and DCS

Regarding the PFO question, it is good to recognize that several conditions are necessary for a PFO to result in DCS.
  • a HEMODYNAMICALLY significant shunt (see attachment)
  • many venous-return gas bubbles,
  • some type of Valsalva-like maneuver,
  • adequate “rebound flow” (position dependent)
Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom