What are you reading now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle:
No Shortcuts To The Top by Ed Viesturs

I read that one recently and really enjoyed it. Made me never want to be a big mountain climber though, those people are crazy.
If you like that one you would probably like "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakower (sp?)
A really fantastic book.

Wildcard:
No true glory
Note to self, order it tomorrow.
His name? Or is it mentioned?...No matter, he died for a good cause despite what the media would lke people to believe. We all die, few die as heros.

Thanks. His name is Maj. Douglas Zembiec. He is a hard person to describe, to people who new him he was a force of nature, unlike anyone else I have met.
Here is some stuff about him:
A great story in the local paper in pdf format:
www.abqjournal.com/news/military/zembiec092404.pdf

http://www.capitalonline.com/cgi-bin/read/2007/05_14-42/NAV

"kafka on the shore" by Murakami and "Diving & Snorkeling in Bonaire" by Lonely Planet

Jasonmh:
I read that one recently and really enjoyed it. Made me never want to be a big mountain climber though, those people are crazy.
If you like that one you would probably like "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakower (sp?)
A really fantastic book.

I've already read Krakauer's and thinking about reading his other two. I haven't read the wilderness one yet.

I'm interested in climbing but not the big mountains. :D The obsession and dedication that mountaineers show toward their sport reminds me of the same for some in diving. Anyway, it is a great book.

I have just finished. Fighting For Peace by General Sir Michael Rose.

Telling his story as commander of the UN forces in Bosnia in 1994.

Now reading. Thieves Of Baghdad by Col Matthew Bogdanos

Telling his story of getting priceless artifacts returned to the Baghdad museum after it had been looted.

A Plastic Nation: The Curse of Thainess in Thai-Burmese Relations by Pavin Chachavalpongpun.

Defending the Lion City: The Armed Forces of Singapore by Tim Huxley.

May 14, 2007 issue of The New Yorker (The Innovators Issue) - very interesting article on the Antikythera Mechanism.

Mikhail Frenkel:
"kafka on the shore" by Murakami

I just started reading this as well. My wife said that it may be her second all time favorite book. Everything is second to Shogun in her eyes! :D

Currently have two going

"The White Death" basically about avalanches and

"The Wayfarer Redemption" Middle Earth-type drivel, but entertaining.

zen_man:
I just started reading this as well. My wife said that it may be her second all time favorite book. Everything is second to Shogun in her eyes! :D

Haruki Murakami ROCKS!! I've loved most of his books, and if you want to get down to it, I liked "Kafka On The Shore," the least.... "Sputnik Sweetheart," "Pinball 1974," "Dance Dance Dance," "A Wild Sheep Chase," "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles," "The Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World," and of course, "Norwegian Wood." :thumb:

I'm reading "After Dark" now, and really enjoying it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom