What are these worth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amnstoner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two, LP 72's. New Vis and Hydro, new Valves, and 100% O2 clean. I dove one yesterday as a stage and dont like the bouyancy charecteristics when compared to staging an AL 80. I dont see my self doubling these tanks up so I 'm not sure I want to keep them. Anyone have any idea what they would be worth. I wouldnt mind trading them for a couple of 80's but thought that if I did that, the 80's would have to be current and also the the other party would need to pay shipping on both tanks (pay shippinging on the 80 as well as the 72). Does this sound fair, and how much would you think I could get for each 72?

Thanks in advance

I would say a straight trade would be fair. IMHO an AL80 with a new hydro, Nitrox ready and descent valve is worth tops $100. Similarly I would expect about the same or less for a LP72. Fair valve for either out of hydro is $50.

I paid $60 for an LP 72 that was out of hydro. I then paid to have it hydro'd (it came back '+' rated), VIZ'd and O2 cleaned. I don't recall what that cost but it was probably on the order of $50.

So, maybe $100 for a LP 72 that is fully prepped is a reasonable price. There are people that WANT this particular tank for vintage diving. Apparently, there are only (2) 6.9" diameter tanks available for the vintage tank bands: the LP 72 and the Aluminum 50.

I would think shipping would kill any kind of deal. There's probably somebody in your area the really wants these tanks. Check around at the LDS's and see if they know any vintage divers.

Richard

Apparently, there are only (2) 6.9" diameter tanks available for the vintage tank bands: the LP 72 and the Aluminum 50.

Faber makes a MP3000+ cylinder that is 6.9". But if you are going to have a set of doubles the LP72s are much nicer as they are a longer. That said folks do like these older cylinders - I just picked up a couple for a set of double.

I made a deal with a dive shop for some steel lp72's that have 2007 hydro's and no valve for $100 shipped to me. I didn't need or desire the oxygen clean portion as they are used with air only. If there are galvanized they are worth more to me than painted.

I am using them for sidemount diving in cold water but this year I'm going to mess with aluminum 80's mostly so I'm not really looking for anymore 72's at the moment (plus I'm jobless) or I would give you between $100 and $120 each shipped depending on if their painted or galvanized.

It's a shame you didn't post a week earlier, I was looking to trade a pair of Catalina AL 80's W/ valves current hydro and viz, nitrox cleaned for a pair of steel 72's. I ended up selling them for $85 each.

If they're galvanized, they're worth probably $100-120 each shipped, without the new valves. Someone would probably buy them for doubles anyway, so you might keep the valves. Shipping is not as bad as you'd think, it could be around $25 depending on where they're going. If they're not galvanized I personally would not buy them. Lots of the painted 72s are galvanized underneath. I bought 2 PSTs that were galvanized under paint.

Mine were about $35, plus $25 for shipping and $45 for hydro/vis. Add on $10 for a can of ZRC galvilite and a few hours of work, and I have a pretty decent set of doubles for under $240 plus bands and manifold.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to put them up on a local board and see what happens. If you know of anyone looking for a set direct them my way.

Many thanks,
Austin

If you'd be interested in selling them, minus valves, I'd be interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom