what are these bagpipe-looking things?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangaloomaflyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Came across several of these little blobs on the floor and walls of Flat Rock reef of Stradbroke Island, Queensland.

Sorry, don't have a photo, but I'll try and describe them.

They are about 10cm across. Marbled cream/deep red colour. Look like a bag with two pipes about 5cm long and about 3cm in diameer protruding from them. The pipes have an opening about 2cm across. the opening is almost round, but pinched slightly to form a symmetrical shape.. When touched the openings close into a cross. the organism is anchored onto the reef and did'nt seem to be moving. They almost have the appearance of a human heart.

Any ideas?

Your description sounds exactly like a tunicate. Here in the western North Atlantic we have a species locally called a sea peach which is orange and about the size of a golf ball. The siphons do close on approach most times.

Certainly sounds like a member of the Tunicates or more familiarly the Sea Squirts. Quero above mentions Polycarpa aurata (purple and yellow - very common) and I was thinking from the 'cross' description at the opening of Polycarpa papillata. This link is pretty good. Photos of the papillata are all over the map as far as color and texture.

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/tunicati/htmen/TUNlistasolitarien.htm

Thanks guys,

I think the species i saw was H. Momas, although it's surface was smooth (i.e. no epibiotics).

cheers, Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom