What are the reason(s).......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
.....you dive 'doubles' for all or part of your dives? :)

texdiveguy:
.....you dive 'doubles' for all or part of your dives? :)

I don't dive doubles but if I did it would be for the whole dive. :D

Seriously, though I don't dive doubles it's most common for longer deeper dives. I do hear of some divers who will continue to dive doubles fo less demanding dives with the advantage of not needing to mess with gear during the surface interval since they have enough air for several dives. Consistency in gear fromm dive to dive is also important to many divers.

In addition to raw capacity doubles combined with a isolation manifold, tandem regulators and technique provide redundancy without needing to carry a totally redundany cylinder.

Some are fond of the stability. For a not so tall diver a pair of stout doubles keeps the cylinder length under control when a lot of air is required.

Lots of different reasons.

Pete

I had one instructor who dove doubles for every dive no matter what. He said it was to ensure he remained fit enough to walk up and down the beach carrying them. Actually the guy was an avid technical diver - longest dive...17.5 hours! :11: Carrying doubles he was probably "travelling light"!!! :D

because they're the only tanks i own! :D

i only 'need' them for cave diving, but i like the idea of practicing in quarries and keeping things similar in the ocean, so i use them every dive since i started them, in march.

Diver0001:
Why this question?

R..

Just a lite hearted fun question to folks whom use 'doubles' in part or all their diving. :D

texdiveguy:
.......to folks whom use 'doubles' in part........
Why would you use doubles for only part of your dive - what do you use for the rest....Spare Air? :14:

I used to dive doubles because they are balanced and compact (not the extra air). I am referring to my European (Poseidon and Draeger) twin 50’s (100 cu ft total at 200 bars). They are very narrow and without any backpack (or back plate) they are very close to your center of gravity, very low profile and are extremely comfortable. I can walk a long distance with them and in the water you don’t even know they are there.

The only problem with my European tanks is that they are not DOT. In the Caribbean I could get them filled easily (I also worked in a dive shop back then), but not up here. :(
Someday maybe I will get my own compressor.

DSCN2334.jpg

DSCN2346.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg

Many vintage divers (including Mike Nelson) use doubles with a downward pointing center regulator post to position a double hose regulator lower and close to your lungs. Many times the doubles of choice is twin 40’s or twin 50’s, so extra gas is not the concern.

Luis H:
I used to dive doubles because they are balanced and compact (not the extra air). I am referring to my European (Poseidon and Draeger) twin 50’s (100 cu ft total at 200 bars). They are very narrow and without any backpack (or back plate) they are very close to your center of gravity, very low profile and are extremely comfortable. I can walk a long distance with them and in the water you don’t even know they are there.

The only problem with my European tanks is that they are not DOT. In the Caribbean I could get them filled easily (I also worked in a dive shop back then), but not up here. :(
Someday maybe I will get my own compressor.

DSCN2334.jpg

DSCN2346.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg

Many vintage divers (including Mike Nelson) use doubles with a downward pointing center regulator post to position a double hose regulator lower and close to your lungs. Many times the doubles of choice is twin 40’s or twin 50’s, so extra gas is not the concern.

Very interesting insights to vintage doubles....thanks for sharing this!!

Kim:
Why would you use doubles for only part of your dive - what do you use for the rest....Spare Air? :14:

I mean... using a set of 'doubles' for certain dives....I own both singles and doubles,,,and never a silly "Spare Air". :wink:

Back
Top Bottom