What are the most buoyant fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rambojambo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have heavy legs and after just doing a peak buoyancy course the instructor says I need the most buoyant fins I can find (may still have to change weight position but thats for another day), I have found some old threads but wondered if there are any new fins that are more buoyant.
Is there a buoyancy rating for fins?
If I email manufacturers will they have a better idea?
I am starting to learn frog kick so ideally I want them to be good for that as well.

I am advanced open water and rarely go below 30m if that makes any difference

Thanks

Look at the Apeks RK3 fins (featured in Steve Martin’s video)—very durable and excellent for frog kicking, in my opinion. A good pair of fins, however helpful, will not fix issues with trim altogether.

Thanks for that
I hadn't thought of looking on youtube :eek:
and never considered the buoyancy effect of boots as well, I will test my boots and fins out on my next dive and go from there

Mares x-stream fins are positively buoyant, at least in salt water. I have not used them in freshwater yet, but I suspect they will float there as well.

I'm wondering if your posture might not be a bigger issue than the weight of the fins? If you let your knees drop, nothing is going to be able to keep your feet up.You need to feel a little tension in your glutes in order to keep your body flat form shoulders to knees. Also, once you switch to frog/ modified flutter, your lower legs will be more or less vertical, bringing the fins closer to your body and reducing their leverage.

Deep 6 Eddy's are actually more buoyant than the RD3's. I get a special giggle when I slip them off at the ladder, let one go and watch it just float to the surface next to me.

Deep 6's availability in Europe is limited and/or very expensive though...

Back
Top Bottom