What are the economical options for the Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Savoir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been travelling independently in South America for some time and I just recently booked a flight to the Galapagos islands. Scuba diving is a passion for me and I would like to dive all week long. I checked out a few companies, but it seems that the prices are all about 3000$+ for one week. Is there anything cheaper out there? For what's it worth, I'll be there from the 25th of October to the 4th of November.

Well I'm honestly not sure what economical options there are. I was just in Galapagos in July on a Peter Hughes boat. The one thing I would definitely make sure of though if you are going to bother going all the way out to Galapagos is to definitely go to Wolf and Darwin Islands. If you're going to dive those are the 2 that make the whole thing worth while to me. You will see lots of sea lions and some rays and maybe some sharks and turtles on other dives but at wolf and darwin you get the motherload of diving...hundreds and hundreds of hammerheads, galapagos sharks, reef sharks, silky sharks, and the big ones (whale sharks). It is an incredible sight to behold when you get good diving up there. Those sites are the farthest north and thus the most remote. If getting to them makes it more expensive...I would suggest scrapping doing any other diving and just dive Wolf and Darwin.

I was there a few weeks ago as well, and agree you must get to Wolf & Darwin. Just remember it is still the ocean and there are no guarantees. We have mediocre viz, and only saw small groups of Hammerheads and no Whalesharks. It was still amazing but we missed some of those signature events that others have been able to enjoy.

Hello Savoir, no there are no companies that do direct trips. In general two options, land based or liveaboard. Liveaboard is always more expensive and less available. Land based is about USD 130 - 200 (depending on the tour operator) for 2 tanks day.

And ps...the $130-$200 a day does not include breakfast, dinner or hotel...just 2 tank diving and a box lunch. None of the live-aboards are $3000 for the week though most offer 4 dives a day and, as others have said, at Darwin and Wolf! Most live-aboards are $4000+ for the week. There are a couple of deals around your dates, but $3000 is an economical Galapagos live-aboard.

ps..Merxlin...sorry to hear that. Viz has been really bad. Heard there were 2 weeks when no one was seeing whale sharks. Last week, viz was apparently much better and 2-3 whale sharks per dive.

Land Based Diving in the Galloping Pogos often is neglected or is seldom mentioned. This type of diving is marketed to everyone except North Americans.

It is a real and viable option for the budget minded.

Search on this forum using land+based+galopagos

You will find threads such as:

Galapagos land-based report
jalber - August 26th, 2009

Galapagos Land Based Diving
heidihart88 - September 22nd, 2009

A question for all you Galapagos officianados
Tobagoman - January 11th, 2007

Diving in the Galapagos
redbonedn - August 17th, 2006

Land-based Galapagos Dive Report
Globetravelgirl - July 22nd, 2006

ps..Merxlin...sorry to hear that. Viz has been really bad. Heard there were 2 weeks when no one was seeing whale sharks. Last week, viz was apparently much better and 2-3 whale sharks per dive.

Glad to hear it got better. It's funny because when people ask how it was, I can sound disappointed. Then I have to remember we did still see more hammerheads, eagle rays, and so many other types of fish and animals than I have ever seen, and been someplace few will ever go.

Hi Savoir
Don't let people put you off diving the southern islands from day boats. Of course - if affordable, then I agree 100% that you can find some of the most exciting diving in the world at Darwin + Wolf - but it is also one of the most expensive of all dive destinations - currently serviced by only 6 liveaboards with at least 2 more arriving in 2011. However, if thst is beyond your budget, then it is still worth the trip to Galapagos for the diving and the land visits in the south. During yoru time period the only boat options would eb as follows:
Oct 25-Nov 1 7 nights Humboldt Explorer 2 spaces – 1 female + 1 male share
Oct 28-Nov 4 7 nights Aggressor I 1 space
Oct 28-Nov 2 5 nights Nautilus Southern islands – 8 dives and 2 land visits

The latter trip is around $1500 so that won't exactly break the bank. Let me knwo offline if you need details. Go for it.

Best, Dom dom@diveadvice.com DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Welcome to Dive Advice Travel

I definitely agree..if you CAN get out to Darwin and WOlf, then defiitely go for it! The land based diving options are good, too, but if you are headed down here only once in your life, then splurge a bit and go for it! There seem to be a few last minute specials lurking around in cyberspace that might go easier on the pocket book! Good luck, and no matter what, you´re bound to have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom