What are the better dive bags that you would recommend ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to be a uniquely North American thing, probably because you have more generous hand luggage limits and Europe and more restrictions on things you can carry in the cabin.

Personally mine go in my checked luggage. I do have a padded bad only to keep them together, I don't think it adds any real protection. So far in all my travels I've not had any damage.

My regs probably get more knocks and bangs on a dive deck, they're pretty robust.

Personally I'd be more upset having to dive in rental fins rather than rental regs if the worst happened.

So no the short answer is no difference other than personal preferences
Yeah. Maybe it is America-centric? I do wonder if they let regs through airport security. A series of hoses connected to a metal thing probably scares some airport people...

For a "wet bag" I love the Mares Cruise Mesh Deluxe. $42 on amazon. I bought my first one from an LDS for like 80 bucks or something. The mesh is all rubber, and it's super sturdy. I carry all my gear except the tank in the bag. That's BCD (BP/w with steel plate), pouches, weights, regs, wetsuit, booties, fins, mask, snorkel, computer, dry towel, oring kit, jellyfish sting stuff. It does fine. I bought bags for my wife and daughter on amazon.

It's got a handle so your can carry it horizontal or vertical. The top opens up with a drawstring. The side has a large zipper. Inside there's a "dry" area where I store my wallet and phone when we splash. Outside is a regulator pouch - I usually put mask and reg in there. Everything else inside.

It's not really something you would pack your gear into for traveling on a plane. I put my gear (including this bag) into a regular suitcase when I travel.

Yeah. Maybe it is America-centric? I do wonder if they let regs through airport security. A series of hoses connected to a metal thing probably scares some airport people...
It depends on who is manning the x-ray. Some have seen them before and recognize it immediately. Others ask to look in the bag, but then realize it quickly enough the moment I mention Scuba.

Going through this thread. Is it bad practice to put your regs in check in? Seems like everyone takes them on carry on

I put my regs and all other gear (except computer and camera) into my checked luggage. I wrap my regs in my wetsuit (or towel) and put my small dive light in my wing pocket to cushion them.
My computer and camera go in my personal bag or carry-on.
My gear bag is marked but I've never had any issues yet.

I‘ve grown to really like the utility of my EVO mesh bag though overall it leaves a bit to be desired. It has a full side zip but also backpack straps. I’ve been looking online for a similarly sized backpack duffel.

I have an ebay sourced Improved Military Duffel, with backpack straps but it is a bit narrow and the BCD fits awkwardly and so it carries awkwardly on my back.

I’m looking for a bag that has a u-shaped opening (and backpack straps), something that will make it through check in but also smoother to pack that BCD while sitting on a gunwale bench with people stumbling around lol.

Maybe I’ll just get what works and pack that mesh bag in it as well ….

-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom