What Are Some Good Dsmbs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very much a fan of the AP Diving "Self sealing dSMB with inflation cylinder" All of my diving is ocean diving

For those who've never seen one, it's a 6' dSMB with an attached 0.1l (0.003cuf) 232bar (3300psi) rated cylinder which you fill from your main cylinder pre dive. You can also inflate the dSMB via a reg at the bottom.

Why do I like it? Firstly it's very easy to inflate, crack open the bottle and off it goes. Whether you're at a stop in trim or in a current, its very easy

It arrives at the surface fully inflated no matter what depth you shoot it from. It is so rigid that you can hold it by the bottle and wave vertically it over your head if you need added height or to attract attention

On the surface the baffle works well allowing two diver to hang off it as additional buoyancy whilst waiting for a boat.

Mine is over 3 years old, and has been inflated at least 300 times, and it is still going strong. Yes it's a bit faded and the AP name is peeling off, but it doesn't leak. If it can stand up to the rigours of the Middle East environment then it will be good anywhere.

The cost will be off putting to some, because of the cylinder it is more bulky than a standard dSMB, but mine fits into a waist pocket on my wing. The cylinder is rolled into the dSMB so no chance of it being inflated while in your pocket (you do need a good twist to open the valve)

I also carry a 12' dSMB, but in reality that's for inflation at the surface and only in a dire situation

So the unusual shape really does help it stand upright?

I don't see "tapered" as unusual, and yes, requiring 50% +/- of the air needed for inflation does help, especially on a real shallow launch where expansion is less.

I will add that I am fortunate to have not needed it yet for locating me either lost or far from the boat in big seas. For my intended purpose it works very well for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
I've been using Innovative Scuba's 6 foot DSMB. I've carried it for about 30 dives now and have inflated it about 3 times. 2 were to let boats know we were below and during our safety stop and 1 was during a safety stop due to separation from dive group and for the liveaboard lookout.

I've been happy with it so far. You can orally inflate or purge your reg, and it also has an over pressure dump valve. It comes with a safety whistle and vinyl light holder as well. Below is a photo of it attached to me on a recent dive. I wanted something that was 6 feet long for safety/viz but was also worried about its size. I'm 5'4 inches, 135 pounds for size reference. I have it attached to a delrin spool with orange line. Good news - it's perfect. I considered the DAN one but saw it in person and it was way too big for me. I hope this helps someone who is shopping for one!

INNOVATIVE SCUBA CONCEPTS | 6 FOOT CORDURA SIGNAL TUBE, DELUXE

17760131_10155082605131031_342876773918070019_n.jpg

I have a 6' DSMB but it does not have an OPV and would prefer to save it for surface inflation, although I have shot it from a variety of depths. Has anyone used the HOG DSMBs? I was about to get either the 36" or 46" and then read one review that explained that the inflation value needs to be manually switched/pulled out so that the air doesn't escape from it after releasing it. (My 6' has a spring loaded valve).

Is the need to manually pull out the valve common for DSMBs? Has anyone used the HOG one and can vouch for the review? Thx.

Has anyone used the HOG one and can vouch for the review?

It’s spring loaded, but if not used and is subjected to saltwater, it seems to clog and needs to be manually pulled out. Just need to clean it and work it to loosen up the spring.

I am very much a fan of the AP Diving "Self sealing dSMB with inflation cylinder" All of my diving is ocean diving

For those who've never seen one, it's a 6' dSMB with an attached 0.1l (0.003cuf) 232bar (3300psi) rated cylinder which you fill from your main cylinder pre dive. You can also inflate the dSMB via a reg at the bottom.

Why do I like it? Firstly it's very easy to inflate, crack open the bottle and off it goes. Whether you're at a stop in trim or in a current, its very easy

It arrives at the surface fully inflated no matter what depth you shoot it from. It is so rigid that you can hold it by the bottle and wave vertically it over your head if you need added height or to attract attention

On the surface the baffle works well allowing two diver to hang off it as additional buoyancy whilst waiting for a boat.

Mine is over 3 years old, and has been inflated at least 300 times, and it is still going strong. Yes it's a bit faded and the AP name is peeling off, but it doesn't leak. If it can stand up to the rigours of the Middle East environment then it will be good anywhere.

The cost will be off putting to some, because of the cylinder it is more bulky than a standard dSMB, but mine fits into a waist pocket on my wing. The cylinder is rolled into the dSMB so no chance of it being inflated while in your pocket (you do need a good twist to open the valve)

I also carry a 12' dSMB, but in reality that's for inflation at the surface and only in a dire situation
Looks very interesting. Is it sold in the US? All the links I can find are outside the US.

I've been using Innovative Scuba's 6 foot DSMB. I've carried it for about 30 dives now and have inflated it about 3 times. 2 were to let boats know we were below and during our safety stop and 1 was during a safety stop due to separation from dive group and for the liveaboard lookout.

I've been happy with it so far. You can orally inflate or purge your reg, and it also has an over pressure dump valve. It comes with a safety whistle and vinyl light holder as well. Below is a photo of it attached to me on a recent dive. I wanted something that was 6 feet long for safety/viz but was also worried about its size. I'm 5'4 inches, 135 pounds for size reference. I have it attached to a delrin spool with orange line. Good news - it's perfect. I considered the DAN one but saw it in person and it was way too big for me. I hope this helps someone who is shopping for one!

INNOVATIVE SCUBA CONCEPTS | 6 FOOT CORDURA SIGNAL TUBE, DELUXE

View attachment 409419
I second this. I use it and like it. Good size and well made.

I second this. I use it and like it. Good size and well made.

Since my post, this DSMB has been in my dive box as a backup/spare and I have been using Halcyon's 3.3ft/1m one with the OPV. I've used it in really cold water when my face and lips were numb and it's so easy to inflate orally. It also can hook up to your drysuit inflator but I don't have a drysuit so can't comment on that. :) This one is also a really good one but it is quite expensive. The metal tip and oral inflation is much easier than the Innovative one though.

Looks very interesting. Is it sold in the US? All the links I can find are outside the US.
Yes it is. I'm trying to find where I bought mine, but I'm not able to find it (I've had it a few years). Works great.

I am also voting for the 3.3 feet Halcyon with the oral inflate. To deploy it, I like the Apeks Lifeline spool, which fits great with gloves. If I miss the anchor line, and cannot find it (in low viz, a distinct possibility) I will deploy a bag ASAP. Better a small SMB shot close to the boat than a big one half mile away.

As a side note, I see people carrying SMB's, often with no spool, and I strongly suspect they have no idea how ( or spool) to shoot one.

Though I am no expert, I do consider shooting a bag, even ungracefully, a basic skill all divers should master.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom