What am I forgetting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Port Tack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am trying to set-up my little 17.5 ft CC for some simple diving. So far I know I need a good sturdy ladder to get back in the boat, some tank holders, safety gear, radio, and a boat tender while diving. What am I forgetting? I am not gonna venture far in this boat, but I thought it might be fun to cruise along the beach with the fish finder going and explore some blips. Thanks

Mike

Well, I like your thoughts, I like to do exactly what your talking about doing. I am out working on the boat now installing a new radio since the other one seems to have gone TU.

I think a first aid kit, an oxygen bottle might be useful. It is an expensive toy but my Humminbird 987c side scanning sonar is an amazing device.

Out of Keaton Beach many years ago we would use sonar to find little rocks and ridge/grass lines and abandoned junk that would be covered with fish.

You will need anchors, safety line(100 to 150 feet) with floats and dive flags. You will need a large dive flag for the boat. I like to carry a small mooring bouy and sometimes set the anchor to it and then tie off to it. You will likely need a bimini top or something to keep sun off of you.

I am amazed at how few boat owners there are on this forum. Most people are vacation divers it seems. Show a picture of your boat and how it is set up please. Sounds exciting to me. N

Some divers opt for a 5ft line to tie the anchor to a structure underwater (dont forget to untie it when you ascend)
Dive sled might be a cool toy.

For what you might need is some sort of a rig that runs a line at 15 fsw from your anchor line to the back of the boat. I have seen some easy to retrieve setups that involved some weight. I never used it, and I dont realy see the point with only two divers in the water. What I have is a 5/8 poly line on the surface from the front of the boat to about 20 ft past the boat. Nylon doesnt float so it must be poly.

And of course a cell phone as a backup is a good idea as long as you dont venture out to far.

Dive flags and safety equipment are a no brainer, and covered in above post.

Nearly forgot. Sausage and a whistle is mandatory diving of my boat. You might want to add a signaling mirror as well.

You may not need the ladder. Depending on gunwale height and your coordination,
you may be able to just climb in. I have low gunwales and a ladder. I guess that
says something about my coordination.

Tieing the anchor to structure isn't worthwhile. Check the anchor at the beginning of
the dive. No problem.

I don't leave anybody on the boat.

Depends on the boat how far you can go. I've had my 17' CC to the Farallones (39
nm one way).

The only reason I am suggesting a drag line/safety line is that in the Gulf where PortTack is diving and operating strong currents are possible unlike the Great lakes and it is possible to be swept rapidly away from the boat. The line is needed especially if not leaving anyone on the boat--which I do but prefer not to.

I generally carry several anchors and select the one most appropriate. If it is a wreck I use a grapple and may clip to the wreck, if sand I use a heavy bodied grapple or a fortress type. I avoid dropping anything on natural bottom areas. Once on bottom I check my anchor and then dive.

I also carry a small tool kit, spare prop and the usual required resuce equipment like flares and distress flags--CG required.

My boat has a ladder on the stern to a small swim platform and it works fine but I am considering having made a single post type three step dive ladder to mount on the other side of the stern. This type is installed into a bracket and then is removed and stowed while underway. Since we are all talking about small cc boats storage is at a premium so I try not to carry things that don't have a purpose. N

My 24' Zodiac is configured with the following items:

VHF Radio
Garmin Chartplotter and depth sounder
Flares, smoke and signaling mirror
Fire Extinguisher
2 Marine batteries
4 - 6 PFD's
Horn
Danforth Anchor with 20' chain and 250' 1/2" line
2 - 75' - 1/2" extra lines
1 - Rescue throw bag with 75' of spectra cord. This is great for towing another boat and using as a tag line off the stern.
SS Ladder

It addition to this I always bring a cell phone and when diving an O2 kit.

The only thing I'll add to this is a grapple hook with 10' of chain and 200' of 3/8ths line. I used a friends grapple this past week to do a stern tie and was very happy with it.

Chuck Tribolet:
You may not need the ladder. Depending on gunwale height and your coordination,
you may be able to just climb in. I have low gunwales and a ladder. I guess that
says something about my coordination.

Tieing the anchor to structure isn't worthwhile. Check the anchor at the beginning of
the dive. No problem.

I don't leave anybody on the boat.

Depends on the boat how far you can go. I've had my 17' CC to the Farallones (39
nm one way).
The Gulf is very different than the Pacific. Rather than the long large swell and very stable (meteorologically) air typical of the California coast, we get short period chop and pop-up severe thunderstorms that can take the sea from flat to furious in 'bout half a heartbeat. Low gunnels in the gulf is a good way to find the worst thing you can find on the bottom... your boat. (unless you have an "unsinkable self bailing" one like a Boston Whaler) As for a ladder, a good strong one is sure nice, but on a small boat you can usually do without one and use the motor and a couple of transom mounted steps (unless it's an inboard, of course).
Our area of the gulf is prone to eddying currents that can be unpredictable and pretty severe... make sure you have plenty of chain and scope on your anchor - a Danforth (or Danforth clone) is the way to go with our type bottom.
I like to use a "down line" on the site, and to anchor upwind/upcurrent a bit, so that the downline and anchor line cross (or are very close to each other). If there's appreciable current I like to run a poly "no-swim" line from the anchor line to the stern - something to pull down with instead of having to wear yourself out trying to swim against a current you can't beat.
I always use a trail line. A ski rope will do.
We'll dive with everyone in the water if conditions are very benign, but it's always - always - better to have a tender who can drive the boat. With that in mind, you should have a float on the bitter end of the anchor line so you can leave the anchor and come back for it if you need to leave the anchorage and go get someone in a hurry.
If you don't have twin motors, at least get a kicker you can waddle back in on should the main engine fail.
Others have covered most everything else I can think of...
Rick :)

Port Tack:
I am trying to set-up my little 17.5 ft CC for some simple diving. So far I know I need a good sturdy ladder to get back in the boat, some tank holders, safety gear, radio, and a boat tender while diving. What am I forgetting? I am not gonna venture far in this boat, but I thought it might be fun to cruise along the beach with the fish finder going and explore some blips. Thanks

Mike

OE2X gives a pretty comprehensive list. If the US is like Belize, you get a list of everything (of which you can add to for even more safety) you need, and have to show it to an inspector from your state's local port authority before you can have the boat registered.

Thanks everyone for the help. Rick, I know very well what you are saying about the unexpected thunderstorms. I sail on Mobile Bay and am very aware of how quick they pop up around here. Those east to west ones are especially sneaky and usually more severe. I am going to get one of the removeable three or four step ladders and plan to leave someone in the boat every time for a while. I do not plan to go out very far in the gulf. Maybe just run right along the second sand bar, troll a bit for the spanish and bluefish and watch the fish finder. If something interesting pops up we will drop down and check it out. Thanks again for all the help.

Mike

if sea tow covers your area and you are not going to be out far (less than 10nm) i would skip the kicker and use them. the money for a kicker plus maitenance plus loss of space will pay for sea tow services. however, if you wait for something to break before you fix it on the boat, i would go with the kicker.

i agree with chuck on the ladder thing... you may not need one depending on your boat type, and 17.5 cc and be a lot of different boat types. there are safe places to step on a boat motor that will not hurt it. if it can push a 2000+ pound boat it can support a person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom