What About Playa del Carmen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I dove for a week with PLUTO Dive in Playa. We really liked them. Alberto was fantastic at finding the little critters hiding like crabs, lobster, moray etc.

The coral is 100x better in Cozumel. Much more built up and the previous poster about the colors is also correct.

But don't not dive Playa just because of that. Playa really is terrific with lots of shallow dives for loooooong bottom times.

There are lots of popular spots but one I would suggest that is less often mentioned is Jardines Reef in Playa. It's a short reef, not more than about 20 minutes long. But if the current is calm you can zig zag it. We had over 60 minutes bottom time on Jardines and saw some really cool stuff.

We even spotted two Stonefish on Jardines.

Best,
Robert

I'd highly recommend this gentleman....:D For some serious personalized diving...no cattle boats.

Paulo Macarico - Formerly co-owner of GeoFish Dive

Contact - pauloinplaya@hotmail.com

Diving is not as good as Cozumel, although I did see a whale shark on one of my safety stops. Personally, I like the topside stuff better than in San Miguel. Plus, you can also dive the cenotes and visit Tulum without having to deal with the ferry. Mosquito Blue hotel was fabulous, and I did all my diving with Tank Ha right around the corner; perfect combo.

Hotel Mosquito Blue Playa Del Carmen Mexico

Tank Ha Dive Center Playa del Carmen Riviera Maya Mexico Close and Beautiful Reef Dives Scuba Diving Training Snorkeling Cenote Cavern Diving

We stayed in Playa and dove w/Jason of Fantasea Dive and had a great time! Jason and I took the ferry to Coz and dove there during the same trip. Obviously, Playa does not have the massive walls as Coz but we saw many, many more fish in Playa and great color and lots of turtles.

I dove PDC with Jason last Feb and had a really good time, Coz was nice too, but the whole scene there was just too hectic for me (too many pod people) and I guess my expectations were so high that the "walls" just didn't live up to my expectations. PDC had very rich marine life with schools of fish so thick you has to push them away to swim through. Along with the "usual suspects" we got to dive with turtles, tarpon, dog tooth snapper and stingrays. Of course it helps that Jason took us "off the beaten path". Can't wait to get back this winter.

reef its much better in cozumel, but the good thing about staying in playa is that is cheaper and you very close to the cenotes and the area from puerto aventuras to tulum which is the largest and uncrawded reef of the peninsula

Attachments

• P6130460.JPG
    P6130460.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 58
reef its much better in cozumel, but the good thing about staying in playa is that is cheaper and you very close to the cenotes and the area from puerto aventuras to tulum which is the largest and uncrawded reef of the peninsula

A lot of the reefs from Tulum to PA are in pretty bad shape, especially the middle and outer reefs. Just not enough current to dilute the runoff from the shore. If you dive the coast there, the inner reefs are generally in better shape. There are still good spots and that is the reason you hire local DM's.

I've been to Cozumel several times and loved it. Now I'm looking at Playa del Carmen. Has anyone been diving there? How does it compare to Cozumel - is it good diving? We're on a very-y-y-y tight budget at the moment and want to get in a dive trip and looking for the best deal we can find. I'm thinking Playa may be less expensive than Cozumel. Any/all feedback and thoughts welcome. Any suggestions on hotels/dive shops?

Thanks!
The best thing about Playa Del Carmen is the town. Mexico at its best a small town with frendly people.
I have always been able to bargin a few dollars off the dive price there where as in Coz they wont.Also the trips are shorter so you have time to see the town.

I just returned from Playa a couple of days ago and dove with Luis from Playa Scuba; on the web at playascuba dot com. While in Playa I did a total of eight dives; two with one organization, two with another and four with Luis. Two of those were in open water and the other two were cenote dives. Luis proved to be extremely professional with his dive briefs, local water knowledge and attention to detail while on each of our dives. He gave personal attention where needed and seemed to have a keen sense of when to know when to help and when to let you just dive and enjoy the surroundings.

If you're so inclined, be sure to ask about his photography and video services. I did take advantage of them after my camera failed and I was glad I did. Lot's of good, in-focus and colorful pics and videos.

His prices were very competitive and the service by far has been the best of my limited dive experience. I would highly recommend him and be sure to ask for his recommendations on local eating establishments! That's worth the price of admission alone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom