What a trip: Coron - Malapascua - Dauin - Sipalay - Siquijor - Southern Leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jensm, can you comment briefly on how easy it is getting from island to island, and what it cost for you? Thanks!

Hi,

Getting from island to island is relatively easy, but you should generally expect to spend a day when moving anywhere. Expect delays, bus or boat breakdowns and learn to take it as part of the experience. In some places, you may have plenty of money for luxury transportation compared to the locals, but if none is available, that won't help. You'll have to get used to tricycles to some extent if you're going anywhere except the most frequented destinations.

I can comment on some of our trips:

Manila -> Coron: very easy, about an hours flight (but with transportation in either end, it's still a day's travel)
Coron -> Malapascua: we flew to Cebu City and spend a few days there. I don't think you can go all the way in a day
Malapascua -> Dauin: done overland in a VERY long day (small banka -> big banka -> small banka -> bus -> taxi -> bus -> ferry (½ hour) -> bus -> tricyle)
Dauin/Dumaguete -> Sipalay: an easy day's travel (for Asia), did one direction by bus, other direction by hired van
Sipalay -> Oslob: Could easily be done in a day, we stopped in Dumaguete
Oslob -> Siquijor: a day's travel (ferry from Dumaguete to Siquijor was about three hours. Direct fery doesn't operate anymore)
Siquijor -> Bohol: a day's travel, ferry backtracked to Dumaguete. The direct one apparantly doesn't operate anymore
Bohol (Pres C P Garcia Island) -> Southern Leyte: a day's travel by hired Bangka.
Southern Leyte -> Cebu City: one days travel, pretty easy on a big ferry.

We budgettet around US$ 175 per day for the entire familiy, including accommodation, food, local travel and diving.

Coron -> Malapascua: we flew to Cebu City and spend a few days there. I don't think you can go all the way in a day
Malapascua -> Dauin: done overland in a VERY long day (small banka -> big banka -> small banka -> bus -> taxi -> bus -> ferry (½ hour) -> bus -> tricyle).
Thank you, this is very helpful! But one last question, if you do not mind: with flights like quoted above, how easy was it to carry gear around? Some small aircraft running local connections in Costa Rica, for example, limit your luggage severely. So folks who fly have no choice but to rent all gear from diveshops. Did you rent or carried your own?

tarponchik: typically here the budget airlines will allow 10kg check in luggage. if you go over it then you pay a few hundred pesos at the airport. but some airlines like cebu pacific (biggest budget airline in the philippines) if you pay for it upfront when you book online it's cheaper - 300 pesos for 20kg (about USD 7.5) check in luggage which should be enough for your gear. hope that helps. :)

tarponchik: typically here the budget airlines will allow 10kg check in luggage. if you go over it then you pay a few hundred pesos at the airport. but some airlines like cebu pacific (biggest budget airline in the philippines) if you pay for it upfront when you book online it's cheaper - 300 pesos for 20kg (about USD 7.5) check in luggage which should be enough for your gear. hope that helps. :)
Yes, thanks! We plan to go for 3-4 weeks next year, maybe, so we'll check out 3-4 places.

Hi Jens

Nice report, so lucky to visit many places in one go, can you tell me the best way to go to Southern Leyte via cebu city? Thats the route you took correct?

Oh..sorry just saw you went there from bohol, I gather going to cebu city from southern leyte is just the same but opposite direction route?

Hi Jens

Nice report, so lucky to visit many places in one go, can you tell me the best way to go to Southern Leyte via cebu city? Thats the route you took correct?

Oh..sorry just saw you went there from bohol, I gather going to cebu city from southern leyte is just the same but opposite direction route?

There's a ferry from Cebu City to Hilongos every day. It's a real ferry, i.e. not an oversized banka. It's got a deck full of bunks so you can sleep if you want to. From Hilongos it's about 65 km to Padre Burgos, about 1,5 to 2 hrs by car.

Have a nice trip

Jens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom