What a day I had!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Besides scubadiving I have a few other interests to keep me occupied.

I enjoy sailing in the Long Beach outer harbor, sipping wine, eating cheese, listening to some jazz and staring up at the snowcapped socal mountains.

Another interest I have is bowling. I don't do ths as much as I use to, but from time to time will participate in local tournaments. I normally don't do this is a social hobby, it is more like a job as I take it serious and make some decent extra money. There has been one goal I have been unable to achieve though; that being THE PERFECT GAME (a 300). I have been able to get a 299, 298 and about 5 or 6 290's.

My other passion is golf. I find this game to be my vent from the everyday frustrations and stresses. I enjoy the peace and tranquility. I don't take the game or my score serious. I am just thankful I have the opportunity to take part in the sport. Yesterday, I had a rare day off and was able to get together with a couple of friends and we traveled to Ojai, Ca. and play Ojai Valley Inn. I hadn't played golf, much less pick up my clubs and practice since August and my game the first few holes were a good indication. However, as we made it to the 7th hole, a 181 yard par 3 I took my 5 iron out of the bag, teed it up and hit my ball. After we all hit our tee shots we went to the green and we couldn't find my ball. We hunted everywhere but one spot. Finally I walked up to the flag, looked down in the hole and there it was. I HAD A HOLE IN 1 !!!. I didn't care what I shot the rest of the day, my golfing life has been fulfilled.

Life doesn't get any better than this.

socaldiver:
Besides scubadiving I have a few other interests to keep me occupied.

I enjoy sailing in the Long Beach outer harbor, sipping wine, eating cheese, listening to some jazz and staring up at the snowcapped socal mountains.

Another interest I have is bowling. I don't do ths as much as I use to, but from time to time will participate in local tournaments. I normally don't do this is a social hobby, it is more like a job as I take it serious and make some decent extra money. There has been one goal I have been unable to achieve though; that being THE PERFECT GAME (a 300). I have been able to get a 299, 298 and about 5 or 6 290's.

My other passion is golf. I find this game to be my vent from the everyday frustrations and stresses. I enjoy the peace and tranquility. I don't take the game or my score serious. I am just thankful I have the opportunity to take part in the sport. Yesterday, I had a rare day off and was able to get together with a couple of friends and we traveled to Ojai, Ca. and play Ojai Valley Inn. I hadn't played golf, much less pick up my clubs and practice since August and my game the first few holes were a good indication. However, as we made it to the 7th hole, a 181 yard par 3 I took my 5 iron out of the bag, teed it up and hit my ball. After we all hit our tee shots we went to the green and we couldn't find my ball. We hunted everywhere but one spot. Finally I walked up to the flag, looked down in the hole and there it was. I HAD A HOLE IN 1 !!!. I didn't care what I shot the rest of the day, my golfing life has been fulfilled.

I'm not a golfer. My feelings about golf have been well documented here (it ranks down there with Buffet, the Beatles and Diet Coke) but I come from a family of Golfers, and its big in my line of business. So I've been around the "sport" most of my life.

The only thing better that you actually shooting an Ace was you not knowing it. I mean, c'mon! That's just funny. And then what's better than that was walking up with your buddies and finding YOUR ball in the cup. You're all searching, scratching your head, saying "damn... did I miss the fareway?" and WHAM... its in the hole.

That is how I like my irony served, my friend. The once in a lifetime moment missed (cuz, like, in a zillion years there's just no way you're gonna knock one on THAT shot, on this course, on this day... right?) and then you get to share it with your golf buddies.

That just rules on so many levels. Congrats! Seriously. That is awesome.

K

A big time congrats to you.

I got my first and only in a sharity scramble tournament. We were 14 under and 3 shots back of the lead with 2 holes to go. 201 yards, water on the left and front, the first 2 members of my team had dunked theirs in the drink and the only thing I was thinking of was to get it on the green so we would have 4 chances at a birdie. Pin tucked in the back right where you could not see anything but the top of the flag. 3 iron, easy swing, lands in front of the green and curls around out of sight toward the pin. The group we were following came running up on the green shouting and waving and having poked fun with them all day all we could think of was that they were messing with us. The best part was that the hole was a $10,000 hole in one prize hole. Bad thing was that the offical witness was drunk and playing in the sprinklers on the next hole! Being as the tournament was hosted by our local Hooters (go on, let me hear it) she was not there to witness the shot. At the time the money wasn't a issue, I just made a ACE!!!! Woo Hoo!!! and to make it even better I stroked a 330 yard drive dead center on the next hole! Well then reality set in and my game was reduced to junk, along with the rest of my foursome :( and we finished 4.

Brian

oh, I did get the prize money. First half was paid by the insurance company that the policy was taken out with and the other half by Hooters, but only after 110 days and having to have my cousin (a lawyer) make the calls and threaten action. The worst part of it all was when I finally recieved Hooters check the second half of the prixe money they wrote me a hot check. Imagine, standing at the teller window, having 5 grand in cash laying in front of you and the teller telling you they didn't have enouhg funds to cover the check!!! Alls well that ends well but that put a end to my days eating at Hooters. Yes the food was good, the scenery was ok (not a plethera of the fabaled Hooters girls at our local store) and it was a fun place to watch the game on monday night. Alls well that ends well.

socaldiver:
Finally I walked up to the flag, looked down in the hole and there it was. I HAD A HOLE IN 1 !!!. I didn't care what I shot the rest of the day, my golfing life has been fulfilled.

Ahem, that means you have to buy us all a round of drinks :eyebrow: !!

congratulations, Ace!

jennifer

Dave!!!
Wow Congrats. Fantastic!

Thank god no-one saw me running up to the green and dumping that dewds ball in the hole..............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom