What a cool bag!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just saw this at a local dive shop and I must say that I am IMPRESSED.

167.2_AKB554_image_2.jpg

Boat Mesh Roller - AKB554

It's their mesh roller boat bag. It's big enough for all of my gear and i looks like what I need for travel through the airport. So, I have a few questions.

1) Can I dunk the entire bag? At the end of the dive, I normally plunge my entire kit which is in a mesh bag into the dunk tanks. It soaks for five minutes and I pull it out! Will this withstand such abuse?

2) Is this carry-on sized? I should have measured it when I was there, but I need to know if the air lines will allow them on their planes.

Thanks in advance!

I just saw this at a local dive shop and I must say that I am IMPRESSED.

It's their mesh roller boat bag. It's big enough for all of my gear and i looks like what I need for travel through the airport. So, I have a few questions.

1) Can I dunk the entire bag? At the end of the dive, I normally plunge my entire kit which is in a mesh bag into the dunk tanks. It soaks for five minutes and I pull it out! Will this withstand such abuse?

2) Is this carry-on sized? I should have measured it when I was there, but I need to know if the air lines will allow them on their planes.

Thanks in advance!
1) Sure you can dunk the entire bag. Go for it. The question isn't whether it will withstand such abuse, but for how long. Ah hell...buy two of them. When the first one dies, just break out the second.

2) "Carry-on sized" is a subjective term. Every time I get on a plane some nimrod comes aboard carrying something that looks like it has a couple bodies folded up into it. As far as I know, so long as you pay someone lots of extra money, you can bring about anything you can lift aboard - you just need to make sure you're at the head of the boarding line so all the space in the upper compartments hasn't been taken by the nimrods who bring three or four items on the plane and cram them all in above other people's seats. Just bring lots of cash. It generally solves most problems!

:)

Doc the Helpful

Hi NetDoc:

This is a cool bag! But maybe not entirely as you like it...

Just a guess here, but I'd say for practical reasons it's probably not optimal for dunking. This is a pretty big bag! Dunking it would be difficult as water weight + gear would make it very heavy to lift out, and because of the size, you may not be able to fit it in a dunk tank to begin with. It does have drain holes, but I think it might be slow draining and simply difficult to manage at the dunk tank.

Definitely not. Most airlines limit you to around 45-50 linear inches (W+H+D), every airline having their own rules. This guy is 63 linear inches, so it's definitely no go. If you're curious, here's a site that has a list of airlines and their carry-on rule:

Airplane Carry On Rules by Luggage Online

Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom