What 2nd stage regulator has the most units in use now? -not including rentals.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drmayer

Registered
Reaction score
Each of us has our favorites, but not including rentals, which 2nd stage is out there being used the most now?
Anyone know where I could find that number?

Thanks,

Drew

Would be really good to know - as someone who might buy one it would be nice to know that it could be serviced almost anywhere.

when you find out many in the manuf side of the industry would love to know as well. Joking aside, any of the big brands rental unbalanced seconds have pretty big volumes.

completely impossible to determine that number. If anyone could even think about finding it, @cerich would. You could probably find out which ones have sold the most, but then you have to look at subdividing by model numbers. I.e. the Scubapro 109/156/G250/G250H/G260 are all essentially the same regulator, but all different model numbers. The big issue is you have no idea which ones have been trashed/scrapped etc. and no way to track that from the manufacturer. Very different than vehicles that are registered.

If I had to place a guess, and I wouldn't bet on it, but if someone asked me and I had to guess, I would guess the Poseidon Cyklon, and only because it has been in continuous production for 60 years and is the only regulator that has anywhere near that longevity. On age alone I would bet there are more of them produced than any other regulator. Scubapro probably could have them beat if they didn't change their model numbers ever 5 years, i.e. I'd bet there are more 109/156/g250/g260's out there than Cyklons, but it depends on how you qualify your search. If it's by brand, Scubapro, if it's by family, Scubapro, if it's a specific model, probably Cyklon.

Last edited:
Scuba-Pro.
or Aqua Lung or Mares on a world wide basis. Each sells 10,000+ unbal seconds year

I've seen more scubapro than others, but almost exclusively as rental/school gear. In my travels, I have seen (and owned) more Mares than other brands. Cressi is also pretty well represented on the boats I am on.

AL is the largest company in the world outside North America in annual sales overall, Scubapro is close second and Mares is a distant third (less than 1/2 of AL). This doesn't mean regulators, it is only annual income overall. Scubapro is well known for its regulators by a wide margin worldwide.

@tbone1004 Poseidon has almost no presence outside Europe and North America.

@BurhanMuntasser yeah, that's why I qualified it if you're going by brand, family, or specific model. If specific model, it's been around for 60 years, scubapro barely keeps theirs around for 6, so it's a bit of a loaded question without any sort of clarification

i just don't see 60 years of cyklon sales adding up enough. poseidon is still rare to run into in most places and the jetstream/xstream also seems to be more common than the cyklon too.

Back
Top Bottom