Whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All!

Just got back from a trip to the Northeast. I have not been on a whale watch for a while and took a trip with Acadian Whale Adventures out of Bar Harbor, Maine. The following is a pic of one of the beasties. Anyone else got some whale pix to share?

---Bob

Here is one of my pics of Pete and Matilda, a pair of humpbacks.

Sorry for the poor quality, the originals are slides and my scanner is not so great for slides.

None of these guys (gals) would breach or come straigh up. They did some spectacular dives. Here is one I caught.

---Bob

I'v got lots more but they are all slides and my scanner is cra*.

before you all get bored. Anyone other than pipe have whale pics?

---Bob

JHAM once bubbled...
I still hope I never meet an animal that big while diving. It's pretty intimidating.

I hope that one time I am in the water when an Orca or other whale is around. Perhaps incorrectly, I fear Orcas less than sharks. As far as I know, there has NEVER been a recorded attack on a human by an Orca in the wild.

I think/hope they are intelligent enough to know we aren't food.

That all being said, I am not sure I would jump in the water with one, but if I were already there and it came up, I don't think I would jump out of the water either.

Otter once bubbled...

I hope that one time I am in the water when an Orca or other whale is around. Perhaps incorrectly, I fear Orcas less than sharks. As far as I know, there has NEVER been a recorded attack on a human by an Orca in the wild.

Hmm, after seeing all those animalplanet and discovery channel showing killer whales not only hunting but playing with their food before finally consumed it, I think I definitely don't want to participate in their food fight. :)

Otter once bubbled...

I hope that one time I am in the water when an Orca or other whale is around.
That all being said, I am not sure I would jump in the water with one, but if I were already there and it came up, I don't think I would jump out of the water either.

Here is a photo of an Orca from a dive trip last summer in the San Juan Islands of Puget Sound. There was a pod of about 30 whales, and at one point there were 3 or 4 (like this one) about 10 feet off the bow and stern. Very beautiful animals.

Just after this encounter we went on to our next dive site. Right after we went down, apparently the pod swam right past us. While I was not so lucky to see any of they Orcas under water, we all Heard them. They passed by like a 100' away, and we could practically feel the clicks and chirps they were so loud!

Dave

I'm dying to get up to Acadia - Whales still around in November?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom