Whale Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just to update everyone, we have been seeing whale sharks lately in the south. Yesterday Thatch Caye did a run to Gladdens Spit (forty-five minute boat ride right inside the reef) and on our second dive we saw the school of spawning snappers(thousands of them, some huge), a giant loggerhead turtle, a reef shark, two dolphins, and two whale sharks. Then today we did a dive right off the wall where we do our local dives within the South Water Caye Marine Reserve and we saw a huge whale shark right off the edge of the wall. It stuck around for quite a while and the divers were thrilled with the unexpected extra.

And I wasn't there!!! I've recently heard from someone who went out over the weekend from Placencia but didn't have your good fortune.

We had a professional photographer for Sport Diver magazine with us both times and he got a lot of whale shark shots. We are hoping to use some on our website and have him sell the rest to Sport Diver for an issue on southern Belize. I will give him the link on whale sharks that Bubble recommended as well.

It is still possible to see them in July right after the full moon, but the chances are less than in May and June.

And Peter, we used the fish finder to get on top of the spawning snappers and that was how we nailed where the whale sharks were down at Gladdens Spit. We also always dive the latest slots allowed since that is when they come out more often. It is only a forty-five minute ride from us down to the Spit so we finish our last dive right as the park rangers are closing at five.

Glad that the fish finder is at last earning its keep. I think I'm overdue for a visit!!

When was this? I was in thatch Caye and we stayed a whole week in may and there was not a single report. All I heard was the Whale sharks are getting rare and the snappers are being overfished, depressing. We timed it and everything

We had a professional photographer for Sport Diver magazine with us both times and he got a lot of whale shark shots. We are hoping to use some on our website and have him sell the rest to Sport Diver for an issue on southern Belize. I will give him the link on whale sharks that Bubble recommended as well.

It is still possible to see them in July right after the full moon, but the chances are less than in May and June.

And Peter, we used the fish finder to get on top of the spawning snappers and that was how we nailed where the whale sharks were down at Gladdens Spit. We also always dive the latest slots allowed since that is when they come out more often. It is only a forty-five minute ride from us down to the Spit so we finish our last dive right as the park rangers are closing at five.

The post was made in May, 2009. I don't think the whale sharks populations have diminished greatly since then.
You probably just had a little bad luck. It's not a guaranteed thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom