Whale Sharks recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really want to see a manta, head to Cebu, then up to Malapascua (4 hours approx). They frequently see them on the local shoals at cleaning stations, along with Thresher sharks.

Stupid me, i just remembered there's a ferry to go to cebu not far from sogod
Anyone has any more info on that? like how far away from sogod is the ferry and how long it takes to go to cebu.

Actually, doesn't have to be cebu ... what would be according to you the best place around cebu (if better) to go to for just a few days?

thanks again

The next closest island to Leyte with diving is Bohol. You can get there by taking the Jeep from Padre Burgos to Maasin and then take the Jeep from Maasin to Bato. There is a pier at Bato that has daily boats going to Ubay, Bohol. Get there early in the morning (by 8:30 am). Takes about 40 minutes to get to Maasin and allow another 30 minutes or so to get to Bato. Takes a few hours by Banca to get from Bato to Ubay, Bohol. From there you need to take a group van from UBay to Tagbiliran, Bohol. They leave Ubay every 30 minutes. Add on another couple hours to Tagbiliran and another 30 minutes to get from Tagbiliran, Alona Beach Bohol--The dive Resort area. Lots of hotels to choose from. Every morning most dive shops go to Balicasag. That is your best dive opportunity. Large schools of Jacks, Baracuda, turtles, interesting coral. I've attached a vid of Balicasag.
[VIMEO]11857269[/VIMEO]

Nice clarity in the video Joe, but apart from small reef fish did you see any larger stuff?

Hi Gee,
Thanks. What you see is what you get in the vid. Don't expect big stuff at Sogod other than a fantastic encounter with a whale shark. If you are intent on seeing additional big stuff your choices, especially land based diving are very limited in the Philippines. As Codman indicate there are Threshers and Mantas at Malapascua, Cebu. To see a full range of big stuff you need to consider a liveaboard which takes you to Apo reef and or Tubbataha Reef. These reefs have everything. I just came back from Apo Reef off of Mindoro and it was the best wall diving i've encountered in the Philippines. A parade of White Tip Sharks, giant Napolian Wrasse, Tuna, Harlequin and Oriental Sweetlips, large Baracuda. Saw four White tip sharks swirling around me on a night dive, Humphead Parrotfish, Giant Crocodilefish, schools of large Jacks etc.

There are overnight slow ferry from various parts of Leyte to Cebu.
worldwideweb.schedule.ph
Malapascua for the thrasher shark and possibly manta as well.

there is no diving in donsol itself... but there is some great diving about an hour os so away at ticao island. I have dived the area extensively and there is so much to see. ticao is known for manta bowl which offcourse boasts mantas but aside from that there are sharks sting rays big schools of trevally, sweetlips, and chevron barracuda. Also in the ticao area is san miguel island, here critters are plentiful for all to see (eg. frogfish, pipefish, hairy frogfish, mandarin fish in the day at that, seahorses and coleman shrimp) it all depends on whether you have a good guide or not. ive written about ticao at length on my blog check it out... Diving the Philippines Indepth...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom