Whale Sharks recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like donsol is the place for whale sharks, but the fact that there's no scuba diving is a downer... I'm kinda leaning toward sogod bay for now, i intend to stay for about a week so i guess that would increase my chances if i get unlucky and i would still get some awesome diving.

I'm wondering if i could be able to do both places without wasting too much time travelling.
Any idea how long the trip would take? It looks pretty close on the map, but then everything kinda does...

Joe awesome videos btw, if i can see half of what's in those it would be worth the trip already...

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the video. The coral ain't going anywhere so you are sure to get to see it. You need to do some research on cebu pacific airline scheduling, as u might be able to do both Donsol and Sogod Bay. Donsol is very accessable. It is a short flight to Lagazpi and only about 1 hour taxi to Donsol. Since whaleshark interaction is assured at Donsol, you only need to be there one day (actually one morning). Best time to snorkel would be early morning and it is possible to fly back to manila or cebu-mactan airport in the late afternoon. If you fly back to manila you have the choice to fly into Tacloban, Leyte or Cebu Mactan. From Tacloban it is a 5 hour drive to Padre Burgos, Sogod Bay. Alternatively, from Cebu you can take the fast ferry (Supercat) to Ormoz, Leyte and again take a 4 hour drive to Maasin, Southern Leyte and an additional 35 minutes drive from Maasin to Padre Burgos in a jeep and a 5 minute trike to Longsodaan where the two dive shops are located. You will need a minimum of three dive days at Sogod Bay to make it worthwhile. 1-day whale shark interaction/afternoon dive and two dedicated dive days. Will this arrangement be tiring? YES! But is it worth it? YES! As a bonus tip, it is best to have your trip completed by April 17 which is when Holy Week starts and when the whale sharks may depart Sogod.

Awesome man
Looks like you just planned my trip
I'll make sure to check out cebu pacific flights and see how to fit my schedule into that
I'm not really sure when exactly i go, but i'll try to make it before holy week.

Thanks again for all your advice

A friend was at Sogod from 13 - 17 Nov 10 and returned with whaleshark photos :)
Although Donsol has them in larger numbers, but I did enjoy my time diving at Sogod way better than Donsol.

Goodluck and have fun!

Good advise here. Thanks everyone!

Any sightings around in Sogod Bay or anywhere else. I'll be there in January. Trying to figure out where to go.

Cheers,
Steff

Allright i finally got my tickets to Tacloban for march 19 to 28... I'm probably gonna stay in sogod bay for at least 4 days (one of my friend needs to do his OW course)
But after that I'd like to check out at least one other cool diving place around that area.

Now I looked on google maps and it seems like all the dive site I've heard about hear (Malapascua, Cebu, Apo etc...) are kinda nearby but don't seem to be that close by sea (wanna go cheap and try to avoid planes since i'd have to take another 5 hours bus to go to the airport) but i'm not sure what the options are from sogod
Anyone has any idea/experience?

My preference would be for coral/big fish diving rather than critter action (seeing a manta would make my day)

Knowing that I can't really go too far away from tacloban cause my return ticket is from Tacloban (yeah i know it was stupid, but it's non refundable) and i want to avoid taking planes (I'd have to wait 18 hours for nitro)

Thanks for your tips

Stupid me, i just remembered there's a ferry to go to cebu not far from sogod
Anyone has any more info on that? like how far away from sogod is the ferry and how long it takes to go to cebu.

Actually, doesn't have to be cebu ... what would be according to you the best place around cebu (if better) to go to for just a few days?

thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom