Whale sharks in at Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

March April May sees the most sightings with some in Sept and Oct and the odd ones popping up in Dec / Jan

They have been seen quite regularly for the last week now and if I remember rightly from last year once they start appearing at this frequency they have around for a good few weeks .....

There was one yesterday at Chumpon and our boat has popped out to have a look for it today with many excited divers aboard. I feel sure they will be lucky as I have shop duty today ....lol

Will post later if they see one ....

whale sharks are those magificent creatures that show up at a dive site the day before you get there. :D

What a magnificent creature. Just kept surfacing and then going deep while surrounded by about 30 hyper-excited divers. We spent the entire 40 mins swimming around it. It is around 4-5 mtrs long and had us spell bound.

Our dive boat actually was the third to arrive at the spot and the buzz was already in the air as the captain had been radioed by the previous two boats about the sighting. We were suited and were surprised to find the fish passing under our boat as we jumped in in pure delight!!

Ironically ( and it was a real heartbreaker) 3 divers from our boat who jumped in a little later and did the entire dive while we were also in, did NOT see the shark. Makes one really appreciate the mysterious ways of this sport.

Hope many of you are still lucky enough to spend some glorious moments with this creature.

If anyone on this board was there this morning and has a few pictures to share, would greatly appreciate it.

I was there this morning too....lots of excited divers but a handful werent lucky enough to see it. Just a juvenile, around 4m at the most but still magnificent. I was working - so no camera Im afraid - but then it wouldnt have been there if I'd had my camera - you know how these things are. Popping out again the day after tomorow - camera in hand this time .... so watch this space.

We've (Buddha View) been seeing them 5 out of the last 6 days (of course I was on the boat the 1 day they weren't around) at Chumpon Pinnacle, Southwest and Sail Rock. Now's the time.

Trying to upload a few photo's :)

Attachments

• DPP_0002.jpg
    DPP_0002.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DPP_0004.jpg
    DPP_0004.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 38
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom