Whale sharks and beyond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All transactions (Boatman/Guide) are handled by the tourist center. You need to watch a short film clip (< 30 mins) regarding the rules of interaction with the "Butanding" prior to setting off. I would advise you to come early so as not to compete with other tourists because they implement a 1 whale shark 1 boat policy. The sea tends to get crowded as it nears midday. Maximum is 6 persons to a boat. I forgot how much per person but I think it is around 500Php for a half day of shark chasing.

Pao :D

good advice Pao. But, not all the boats follow the 1 boat per whaleshark rule. I'd say most time they do respect that rule, but there were a few times where it was broken. Maybe because there were so few sighting one of the days we were there. One bangka dropped a group literally on tops of us as we swam along a whale shark.

Tarzana - oh, and get ready to swim hard... The whale sharks look so graceful and slow given their size, but try keeping up with one in the water... :wink: After a couple of hours, we were pooped. But then, we're waay out of shape... :D

Last edited:
You can arrange for a late checkout or stay an extra night (and eventually an extra day of whale watching). We went there around early march and had about 12 sightings with 4 chases being long ones with the longest lasting about 15 to 20 mins. We were the ones who quit because we were quite tired. Friends of mine went there late april and saw only seven small sharks with the longest interaction lasting less than 10 minutes. Locals say that an overcast sky or rain the previous night result in fewer sightings.

We eveventually quit past 1 PM with plenty of other boats still on the water so I dont think there will be any problem with getting good light.

Pao

Observations

The visibility can be a problem after the heavy rains.

The one tourist barge per shark is not even a reality. Up to 10 will converge if the sharks are rare that day.

Manta bowl - Ticao can have very big mantas. Usually poor conditions for whalesharks.

When the fish are in, it is easy to photograph them as an amature, but a pro might not be satisfied because there is a lot of pankton in the water. Maybe someone can spread some plankton killer in the bay to clear up the vis. I will have to bring that up.

8 days in Donsol earier this year link

May whale shark update

Had a very good time.

Was there 15 years ago and of course things have changed.

I would pass on the scuba. Not permitted in the bay anyway.

dp

good info from all of u. sounds very exciting!! will have to warn all to be in tip top shape to do all the free divng. makes you wish that that Kona school of free diving was a bit closer so you could do a quick practice course.

will probably dive with the whale sharks then go elsewhere to take my group to do some scuba diving. not decided where as yet because i want to take them to the best possible dive area that is just a day or less of travellng. a ferry would not be the best i would think as we will be hauling a big scuba bag and clothes too but are there suggestions?

no problem hauling stuff on ferries. there are plenty of porters who will carry them for you in exchange for a tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom