Whale sharks and beyond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarzana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would like to organize a tour this April to Donsol and other PI areas. Where is the best place to go and the best dive OP to use to get to snorkel with these gentle giants? Also is the scuba diving good in the same area or is it best to go elsewhere to fill in some dives for about 3 more days?

Scuba equipment or any form of artificial lighting is prohibited in Donsol. I do not know about other places. Usable snorkeling equipment is available locally. There are local dive ops, but as i said scuba equipment is prohibited in Donsol.

The manta bowl along Ticao island is actually just a few hours away from Donsol. Dive operators are mainly from Legaspi and operate from Legaspi, Donsol or Bulan.

thanks for the info... so i guess you can go in and snorkel but with a camera there can be no flash going off.

i have snorkeled with mantas.. yes way cool but would like to go for the "super sized" :) ones this april

has anyone out there ever snorkeled with the whale sharks in Donsol?

Did it last summer. Used a P&S UW film camera. Had usable pictures after scanning and a bit of digital manipulation. A super wide lens would come in handy. Chasing the whales was quite tiring. A good boatman and guide ("BIO"man) is essential so you can intercept the shark instead of having to chase it. It was quite an experience.

Tarzana,

a quick search of this forum on "Donsol" shows a couple of trip reports (including mine) from earlier this year.

Be warned, Ticao had some ripping currents (not much to see if the mantas are no shows). There is some nice coral across the from the whale shark sanctuary (forget the site name).

Pao do you request this boat man at the whale shark center or is he independent? you were in donsol correct? where did you stay there? your P &S camera..did u just shut off the flash?

All transactions (Boatman/Guide) are handled by the tourist center. You need to watch a short film clip (< 30 mins) regarding the rules of interaction with the "Butanding" prior to setting off. I would advise you to come early so as not to compete with other tourists because they implement a 1 whale shark 1 boat policy. The sea tends to get crowded as it nears midday. Maximum is 6 persons to a boat. I forgot how much per person but I think it is around 500Php for a half day of shark chasing.
We stayed for 2 nights at Amor farm which is about 500m from the tourist center/jump off point. You could also book a tour from Legaspi because there is not much to do in Donsol at night. I would advise though that you arrive early afternoon the day before, check into one of the resorts near the tourist center (Vitton or Woodlands) go to the tourist center and watch the film so that you could set off early the following day.
We brought our own snorkeling equipment although decent rental gear is available. A bit of warning, the beach near Amor farm is not very clean. I gave my wife a crash course in snorkeling the afternoon before and I used up about 3 hours that night trying to remove an oily residue from our equipment.
I used a cheap Snapsights P&S film camera. And just turned off the flash. From a 36 roll I ended up with about 15 usable shots. The good ones where taken near midday with the sun overhead and me swimming very near the whalesharks. I can send you some pics if you give me your e-mail add.
Lastly, I think April is already late in the season. I think January to March is the peak of the "Butanding" season.

Hope this post helps,

Pao :D

pao11ph@yahoo.com

Pao.

Once again thank you for all the details. i like your idea of going the day before to see the film so you can get off in the AM but can u stay out until like the better light is out like you did at noon???

I can be there with my group beginning on April 4th no sooner as that is when my spring break from school is... now i am wondering if i should head in another direction as it may be too late to see the whale sharks. i have a bit of time to think about it before planning.

Back
Top Bottom